Visit our COVID-19 site for latest information regarding how we can support you. For up to date information about the pandemic visit www.sacoronavirus.co.za.

bs-regular
bs-extra-light
bs-light
bs-light
bs-cond-light-webfont
bs-medium
bs-bold
bs-black

Community

Share knowledge. Ask questions. Find answers.

Online Share Trading

Engage and learn about markets and trading online

need help please.

Roniqua
Contributor
Hi. If i want to go long on top40 but i want to sell at anytime i need to buy a american call warrent. What if i want to go short but also want to sell at anytime. Please if not to much moeite. thanks
0 Kudos
10 REPLIES 10
Not applicable
buy a put then
0 Kudos
Not applicable
If you sell and then sell some more, it cant be good. SSF (single stock futures) is brobably what you are looking for but its geared and u gotta be quite clued up to use it.
0 Kudos
Kbee
Contributor
Hennie is correct, you'd need to buy a put warrant. These are identifiable by the last letter of the Share code being for P to Z (eg. TOPSBP or TOPSBQ etc.)
0 Kudos
cfm
Super Contributor
You don't specifically need to stick to the American warrants. An European warrants works just as well.
0 Kudos
SimonPB
Valued Contributor
the confusion is that put warrants are european warrants .. but you can still sell them at any time, you can only exercise them at expiry ..
0 Kudos
Not applicable
I think you are talking warrants from your post. You can buy and sell any time if it is american or european does not matter. The option of converting to ordinary shares is what is relevant when you want to convert to the ordinary (underlying) share. Here American and European have their own rules. Buy if you merely want to tarde them (buy and sell at any time) it does not matter what one you use.
What does matter is do you understand gearing and spreads etc. If not I suggest you stay away until you learn more about it and do paper trading (buy on paper what you wanted to and track it to sell. Do this at least 50 times before placing actual money on it. DO NOT CHEAT YOURSELF ON PAPER, YOU ONLY CHEATING YOURSELF, AND YOU BANK ACCOUNT, IN THE END) that way you dont loose money and you are guaranteed to loose money if you dont understand the product correctly. SSF and CFD etc same thing.
0 Kudos
DEP
Super Contributor
You can also buy DB wave; e.g. Topdww (short top40) Topdwh (long top40).
0 Kudos
Not applicable
even bigger OUCH if you dont understand gearig and those kill your portfolio if you go wrong and the barrier is breached.
0 Kudos
Roniqua
Contributor
Thanks. Got it. Just though you cant sell european when you want. All makes sence. Cheers.
0 Kudos
Not applicable
Yep, the "training material" give that impression that you can't sell eu or usa when you want. That one got me also. Once again, misinformation. You trade it like a share anytime anyday.
0 Kudos