Visit our COVID-19 site for latest information regarding how we can support you. For up to date information about the pandemic visit www.sacoronavirus.co.za.

bs-regular
bs-extra-light
bs-light
bs-light
bs-cond-light-webfont
bs-medium
bs-bold
bs-black

Community

Share knowledge. Ask questions. Find answers.

Online Share Trading

Engage and learn about markets and trading online

needing a good book to read ...any sugestions

john_1
Super Contributor
I am looking for a novel or non fiction that actually might keep me turning the pages. any sugestions
0 Kudos
35 REPLIES 35
PaulC
Super Contributor
If you havnt read Atlas Shrugged I highly reccomend it. Its a bit long at just over 1000 pages and the first 150 or so is scene setting. But once I got into it I couldnt put it down.
0 Kudos
Farina
Contributor
the three Stieg Larsson Millennum series
0 Kudos
Not applicable
0 Kudos
Mar-11
Super Contributor
Not a novel but a true story, "around africa on my bicycle" ver easy read.
0 Kudos
Waddell
Occasional Contributor
Deon Meyer, one of the new best South African writers. He writes in afrikaans but some of the books are translated to english.
0 Kudos
Wizard
Super Contributor
`WTF' ;) ..had a really good laugh
0 Kudos
Galuc
Super Contributor
Stieg Larsson, I second, great reads
0 Kudos
richardw
Super Contributor
I read the predecessor first (which I loved), and then Atlas Shrugged (which seemed to re-hash the same things, but *more*, *repeatedly*). I wanted to set fire to it. If I could get those hours back, I would. Aside from that, it wasn't too bad :)
0 Kudos
SimonPB
Valued Contributor
0 Kudos
Not applicable
AN old classic Hitch hikers guide to the universe (Hard cover version that has the the 5th book in it)
0 Kudos
Not applicable
I can only hope that you will appreciate 'The Map Makers Wife' as much as I did, Jangat
0 Kudos
vurt
Contributor
0 Kudos
Not applicable
The Lacuna (Barbara Kingsolver), CJ Sansom's Shardlake series, Wolf Hall (Hilary Mantel), and anything by John Steinbeck, but especially The Grapes of Wrath, Of Mice and Men, and Cannery Row.
0 Kudos
Not applicable
just finished 1434 - gave me a whole new perspective on chinese history and its influence on western society. Very thought provoking stuff
0 Kudos
Franksays
Frequent Contributor
John -I'm a big fan of Frederick Forsyth. The Dogs of War is always a good read, The Odessa File and The Day of the Jackal ar legendary.
0 Kudos
Franksays
Frequent Contributor
Is Vinge the guy who has that interesting theory of the Singularity
0 Kudos
john_1
Super Contributor
I have read that twice. Very Interesting
0 Kudos
SimonPB
Valued Contributor
and also largely fiction .. both 1434 and 1421 ..
0 Kudos
Levitt
Regular Contributor
'Everything is Illuminated' by Jonathan Safran Foer.
0 Kudos