Visit our COVID-19 site for latest information regarding how we can support you. For up to date information about the pandemic visit www.sacoronavirus.co.za.

bs-regular
bs-extra-light
bs-light
bs-light
bs-cond-light-webfont
bs-medium
bs-bold
bs-black

Community

Share knowledge. Ask questions. Find answers.

Online Share Trading

Engage and learn about markets and trading online

overpriced over there ?

partridge
Super Contributor
So the competitor offered half the price that WHL is offering - nil premium and all that jazz. Do I detect a bunch of hubris driven Saffers on the move again? ( I thought department stores were like buggy whips?)
0 Kudos
10 REPLIES 10
phd
Contributor
Perhaps just desperation to divest from South Africa.
0 Kudos
klapka
Super Contributor
the offer is the same as the share price in 2011. I assume Woolies think they can turn the business around.
0 Kudos
Galuc
Super Contributor
Market definitely didn't like this acquisition.
0 Kudos
Galuc
Super Contributor
Market definitely didn't like this acquisition.
0 Kudos
partridge
Super Contributor
If there is such a difference in price offered then you have to assume that one of the parties is acting like an idiot - and that Saffers can do better than anyone else on the planet when it comes to international acquisitions! So are we going to see a long period of capital demands on shareholders and management time taken up in this. Checked the Sydney Morning Herald - no one applauding there. In the absence of information to the contrary I would assume WHL will drift downwards. Just too much for ..? Isn't it amazing how management can lay waste to all your best laid plans overnight!
0 Kudos
Preston
Super Contributor
At R59, i am a buyer. At R52, i will sell "short".
0 Kudos
SimonPB
Valued Contributor
haha, new tune neh ??
0 Kudos
phd
Contributor
This is not a done deal. The shareholders still have to vote on it, and one has to assume that the shareholders are brighter than management.
0 Kudos
Werner_1
Super Contributor
I still like WHL, long term it will do great, we should speak about it in 2 years time again... I mean long term growth in WHL shares.
0 Kudos
U-Dog
Contributor
Finally catching up on some projects I've had on the to do list one of which was looking at the Woolworths acquisition of David Jones. Have to say, by my own calculations, they're left themselves very little in terms of safety margin on this one. The proposed price is at the top-end of my modelling range ($3.05 is where I put a fair price). CONS: Over the past 8 years DJS has averaged a very modest 6% earnings growth on non-existent turnover growth. Net debt is slightly on the high side for my taste Bit heavier on the working capital requirements than Woolworths (might be an opportunity for some synergies to free up cash) PROS: Greater offshore exposure and international footprint so becoming even more of a rand hedge stock. Seems highly cash generative throwing off high dividends in relation to earnings on a decent yield So I'm going to be watching the developments of this one carefully before making a voting decision
0 Kudos