Visit our COVID-19 site for latest information regarding how we can support you. For up to date information about the pandemic visit www.sacoronavirus.co.za.

bs-regular
bs-extra-light
bs-light
bs-light
bs-cond-light-webfont
bs-medium
bs-bold
bs-black

Community

Share knowledge. Ask questions. Find answers.

Online Share Trading

Engage and learn about markets and trading online

plats

kr_pto
Super Contributor
any thoughts on why the plats are being nailed so badly today? simply the fluctuating platinum price itself? or did i miss something else
0 Kudos
14 REPLIES 14
john_1
Super Contributor
Because traders are making money off the volitlity.
0 Kudos
kr_pto
Super Contributor
hey john. that sounds a bit like effect and cause, not cause and effect. unless you recon the trading itself is simply causing the volatility, which in turn is causing more trading? aka feedback. man, but there has been some hectic volatility lately, especially on the metals!
0 Kudos
kr_pto
Super Contributor
am taking a bit of pain on IMP and AMS myself, but going to ride it out today and hope my stop loss doesnt get hit. AGL looking better now too (as at time of writing anyhow!).
you still in any plats, john?
0 Kudos
john_1
Super Contributor
The market is made up of individuals who are trading on incomplete info with the intention of making themselves money. If I can sell short AMS and cause you to panic sell it may cause somebody else to sell etc untill enough people say enough is enough and start buying at lower levels, I dont know if you saw my post about anglo yesterday but the diffrence in Market Capitlization in 2 days of trading changed the over all value by over R60 billion rand, thats propper.
0 Kudos
kr_pto
Super Contributor
true it is made up of so many individuals, factors, etc. but to my mind there is a big difference between intentional driving of the price down (through short selling) and panic'ed following of the price (down or up). to my mind the latter has a much stronger effect as it is rooted in the pschycology of the participants (fear, greed, etc). probably is a combination of these (and other factors such as the base metal price itself) in play. but either way, there is no questioning the end result, which is some crazy volatility!
0 Kudos
john_1
Super Contributor
the question is do you lead or follow.
0 Kudos
kr_pto
Super Contributor
or simply pretend (to yourself) that you are leading when actually following (your own tail)! have had that feeling far too often. :)
0 Kudos
DZ
Contributor
i have a simple answer. i got into plats a month ago, since then red red red. whatever i get into seens to go red. so whatever i do do the opposite.
0 Kudos
john_1
Super Contributor
Pleaze post your trades, thanks
0 Kudos
Preston
Super Contributor
DZ , are u in for the long runs with Plats.I believe John has got some valuable advice on "selling short"
0 Kudos
Not applicable
platinum's are good stocks - wait for a year or two and there should be a nice improvement in the value of the share + dividends. Just a bit of patience, that it !
0 Kudos
CE
Super Contributor
DZ - please buy TOPDWQ, thank you.
0 Kudos
DZ
Contributor
Yeah i feel like i should hang in there, but i just find it amazing that almost for no apparent reason the price has dropped like a ton over the past month. The plat price reached record highs although currency strengthend. I bought IMP SBE @ 47.
0 Kudos
CE
Super Contributor
Ouch !! Better luck next time.
0 Kudos