Visit our COVID-19 site for latest information regarding how we can support you. For up to date information about the pandemic visit www.sacoronavirus.co.za.

bs-regular
bs-extra-light
bs-light
bs-light
bs-cond-light-webfont
bs-medium
bs-bold
bs-black

Community

Share knowledge. Ask questions. Find answers.

Online Share Trading

Engage and learn about markets and trading online

pratice trading platform

Not applicable
hi is there a software to practise share trading. many thx kirata
0 Kudos
9 REPLIES 9
Not applicable
There is a very sophisticated platform that you could try. Not sure how easy it is to come by these days but if you goto your local news agency they might stock it. Ask for "pen and paper" .....

its called paper trading or for the lazy trader try excell spread sheets and setup the buy/sell/costs/profit columbs. Then its all upto your honesty with yourself about buying and selling. If you lie to your self there you will definately loose with real money.

Problem why most people do not use it, its too boring and there is no adrenaline rush seeing your losses. People tend to be less appreciative of gains than losses.
0 Kudos
NJ_1
Frequent Contributor
Honestly, paper trading is a waste of time. You will be better off deciding on an amount that you are prepared to spend on school fees and entering the market with that. You must be prepared to lose it all. It doesn't have to be a huge amount either. The only unrealistic factor will then be that your trading costs will be a higher percentage than if you were using a more realistic trading account size, because your trades will by necessity be a lot smaller. But trading with real money is the only way you can trade experimentally to learn. Paper trades are easy come easy go.
0 Kudos
SimonPB
Valued Contributor
agreed .. and have enough capital for 20 trades .. so if the potential loss per trade is R1k, have at least R20k to loose and then of course you need the capital to be able to buy .. make sense ??
0 Kudos
drakensberg
New Contributor
Die enigste manier wat werk is om maar geld op die mark te sit en bereid te wees om dit as "skoolgeld" te betaal. Mens leer nie as jy nie risiko het nie. "paper trade" het nie risiko nie so jy beplan nie en volg nie n defnitiewe plan met "entries EN "EXITS"9 NB!!!!
0 Kudos
Pluto
Contributor
Sharenet have a simulated portfolio called SIMEX and the link to that is http://www.sharenet.co.za/?content=/register/reg.phtml - you need to register before you can access this free service. A lot has been written about paper trading and I agree that you learn the most when you have money at risk. But I believe there is also a place for simulated trading that mirrors exactly what you would do in real life - ie a system that you can't fudge. The Sharenet SIMEX provides for a "real" experience. We all learn differently - for some jumping into live trading might be the way to go, but the experience is that most of those people burn their accounts and destroy themselves psychologically never to return to the market again. If a simulated portfolio prevents this, then it has a place in my book.
0 Kudos
sponono
Super Contributor
0 Kudos
JAZMIN
New Contributor
I HAVE A SHARE TRACKING (SIMULATION) PROGRAMME THAT I BOUGHT WHEN I STARTED - WOULD LIKE TO SELL IT IF YOU WANT TO BUY
0 Kudos
Not applicable
Glad everyone got the sarcasm....paper trading is a great ideal world system, but as everyone has pointed out, you cannot simulate the experience of loosing money, and everyone looses just depends on ow much...... so I agree with the decide what you are prepared to risk and trade live. You have more at stake and you learn fastest that way......
0 Kudos
Chanan
Occasional Contributor
The old story of papertrading have been argued over a lot in the past. I cannot say what I do because that might be seen as advertising so I will start with the topic. Papertrading was never intended to teach anyone the emotional growth that is needed to be persistently profitable. Papertrading as we are using it is to test certain strategies according to a pre set of rules. The main purpose is to see if by sticking to the rules of a certain strategy and over at least 30 trades that strategy is profitable then it can be used. If going live with real money without any experience is like giving you a car to drive to learn you how to obtain your drivers license. The people telling you to do this is most probably also the people selling the cars to you as you wrote them off. Trading is like bushwalking in lions country. It needs skill and emotional strength to survive. The skill(how and when) can be learned through papertrading. Emotional strength to stick to the plan comes from taking tiny steps at first and growing in every leap taken. After 30 papertrades in a certain strategy the rules will be known by heart. YOU have to do the testing as you cannot trade on the historical success of someone else. At least more then 80% of the 30 trades must have been according to the rules of that specific strategy. By starting with real capital without a tested strategy the emotional pain of failure most of the times will scare you away from the market after you have blown your first account. Even if you are telling you that you have actually set that money aside as teaching or scholar fees. Loosing money hurts especially if it is hard savings money. If you have tested a certain strategy over at least 30 papertrades you will know the rules AND will know if that strategy is giving you an edge. You will also know if you like that strategy and if it suites your personality. By trading a strategy that is profitable but clashes with your personality will make you negative to the market over time and the market was never your problem. If you like what you are doing you will be successful in it. Make sure that the strategy you are using have a fix risk to capital exposure. ( I use a 3% risk to capital maximum per trade and per portfolio). Make sure it has a Risk to Reward ratio of more then 1 to 1,5. to your winning trades AND 1 to 1 on your losing trades(NEVER LOOSE MORE THEN WHAT YOU HAVE INTENDED TO) and a success rate of more then 50%-60%. No matter what strategy you are using if you apply the above rules you will at least start with good money management.
0 Kudos