Visit our COVID-19 site for latest information regarding how we can support you. For up to date information about the pandemic visit www.sacoronavirus.co.za.

bs-regular
bs-extra-light
bs-light
bs-light
bs-cond-light-webfont
bs-medium
bs-bold
bs-black

Community

Share knowledge. Ask questions. Find answers.

Online Share Trading

Engage and learn about markets and trading online

prices on futers portfolio

macG
Contributor
did anybody else have funny numbers quoted by standard ban k today in the last 15 mins of trade, it said SOL MTM was at 25200 and IMP 24600, there were some other ones too GFI?? did anyone else notice this? and was it price movements or a glitck in the system?..... very confussed
0 Kudos
6 REPLIES 6
macG
Contributor
sorry not the MTM price , the BID Offer price
0 Kudos
DST
Super Contributor
Yup. Its the big swinging Richards placing bids or offers past the trade level as they manoeuvre toward the auction outcome that they seek.
0 Kudos
macG
Contributor
sorry but could u explain that a little more? why should that effect the figure of profit or loss on my portfolio?
0 Kudos
DST
Super Contributor
I think you must read up on how the futures prices are quoted - there is course info and help&education info. They are mechanically spat out, depending on the share bid & offer. If you don't have clarity on how they work, then beware!
0 Kudos
macG
Contributor
but these are based on the live price on the share? are they not? but the share price does not move to that level???? does this only happen in closing auction? P.S. Thanks
0 Kudos
cfm
Super Contributor
The intraday MTM price is the middle of the spread between the SSF equivalent of bids and offers. This amount can change dramatically just before the closing auctions due to the fact that some people withdraw their bids/offers before the end of the day.
I pay no attention to the SSF price movements itself. Only to the movement of the underlying.
0 Kudos