Visit our COVID-19 site for latest information regarding how we can support you. For up to date information about the pandemic visit www.sacoronavirus.co.za.

bs-regular
bs-extra-light
bs-light
bs-light
bs-cond-light-webfont
bs-medium
bs-bold
bs-black

Community

Share knowledge. Ask questions. Find answers.

Online Share Trading

Engage and learn about markets and trading online

realistic profit with R30000.00

SEC_MAN
Frequent Contributor
Hi Guys, what profit can i make trading futures if i have R30 000.What can i make in a month.
0 Kudos
30 REPLIES 30
Not applicable
I reckon about 12.5k on a 5% move. depends on the gearing of the future.
0 Kudos
SimonPB
Valued Contributor
realistically .. probably wipe out ..
0 Kudos
Alonzo7
Frequent Contributor
Agree Simon..... Sec Man, if you still new to Trading..... Don't even consider thinking of SSF trading just yet (get the Basics right first ie. normal shares/equities trading). Bottom Line = Trade Equities first.... then Installments....then Warrants....then only possibly SSF's (All of these steps takes time & experience... Don't rush)... Cheers!!
0 Kudos
SEC_MAN
Frequent Contributor
Thanks for the advice guys, anyone here trades for a living.
0 Kudos
Alonzo7
Frequent Contributor
I "trade for a living" ....as you can see... I am still working!! BUT I love it!!!!!!!!!!!!!! Love it!!!!!!!!!!!!!
0 Kudos
Not applicable
Open a demo trading account at GT247 and first see if you can make money over a 3 month period. This is of course no guarantee that you will make money with a real account, but you'll get the message if you wipe out even with a demo account.
0 Kudos
SEC_MAN
Frequent Contributor
Alonzo, how much can you make with R30 000 on average, playing small.
0 Kudos
SimonPB
Valued Contributor
demo's are argely useless as without real money at stake we learn nothing.
0 Kudos
Not applicable
disagree with your wholeheartedly here Simon. GT24 demo teaches you the subtle impacts of spread costs, slippage, entry & exit timing & the reality that if you don't research your trading system properly then you won't make money. If you can't at least generate a 10% portfolio gain on a demo environment (and I don't mean going all-in on a trade) then stay out until you can.
0 Kudos
SimonPB
Valued Contributor
OK, but if you are making 10% of some demo account .. will that in any way translate into the real world ?? my view (and provem research) is not at all .. you actually learn nothing .. think for a moment, one of the issues is to enter at the right time .. with no money at risk that is easy .. with real money one of the major hurdles people have is unable to enter due to fear of losing, so the entries are then late (and higher in price) .. this just be one example .. you would then reply that at least it gives you a system that works, well no because the chart is such a tiny part (remembering that random entry makes money) .. trading is all in the head and without cash you learn nothing .. there is a research paper out of the US from MIT that I'll try an track down that showed demo account did nothing to help success in the real world ..
0 Kudos
Not applicable
When I started trading a couple of years ago on a live account, I wiped out. I then went with the same system to a demo account and wiped out there as well. My system did not work. If I had started with the demo account, the penny might have dropped for me sooner. If your theory holds any water Simon, then keep trainee pilots away from flight simulators.
0 Kudos
Not applicable
good one Vitor, but Simon, I get your point - a bit like trying to play poker with matchsticks
0 Kudos
SimonPB
Valued Contributor
exactly .. an here's something I seldom mention as I get laughted at .. but here goes .. best way to learn to trade is to play poker with real money .. poker is a game of discipline with randon cards being thrown at you, as is trading .. but here's the kicker .. you play about 100 hands an hour whereas it'll take a year or more to do a 100 trades .. so you learn the discipline and psychology way way quicker and as you can play cheaper hands it is also less expensive .. when you can regularly make money playing poker, then move to trading ..
0 Kudos
GarethJ
Regular Contributor
In a similar way, I basically started trading by day trading shares with R5k trades!! I guess this allowed me to learn quickly by doing many more than 100 trades in a year! Soon learned, of course, that the costs were killing me, but put these down to school fees. This was a very quick way to learn about Stop Losses, trends etc. Of course SOL used to move 5% a day 6 months ago - no more...
0 Kudos
NJ_1
Frequent Contributor
How do you bluff in trading? ;)
0 Kudos
Not applicable
Why not roulette? Same rules - random number and random payout (depending on how you place your chips). All a game of chance. Poker yes can learn alot and I like the training angle but you have no tools to analyse your opponent in poker or roulette..... sure poker you can learn to bluff, learn body languages and signal and even try to predict card sequence. Trading you can have a slightly better change if you do TA and develop a system etc. Emotional development I guess in Poker could be an advantage in learning to trade?
0 Kudos
SimonPB
Valued Contributor
roulette .. way different .. only chance and once you're in there is no out, like horse racing .. poker is managing risk/reward with exit potential ..
0 Kudos
Galuc
Super Contributor
If u going to trade futures and or warrants as a novice, rather give the money to charity, u will feel a lot better about urself!
0 Kudos
warhippo
Super Contributor
Like playing the Lotto for a pension!
0 Kudos