Visit our COVID-19 site for latest information regarding how we can support you. For up to date information about the pandemic visit www.sacoronavirus.co.za.

bs-regular
bs-extra-light
bs-light
bs-light
bs-cond-light-webfont
bs-medium
bs-bold
bs-black

Community

Share knowledge. Ask questions. Find answers.

Online Share Trading

Engage and learn about markets and trading online

retail traders vs intitutional investors

nala
Super Contributor
of the daily 8 to 10 billion traded on the jse - how much of this will be retail and institutional traders
0 Kudos
11 REPLIES 11
SimonPB
Valued Contributor
assume very very little is retail. Like maybe a percent or two.
0 Kudos
john_1
Super Contributor
Has that ratio not shifted up with the advent of retail alsi trading platforms, and SSF?
0 Kudos
SimonPB
Valued Contributor
alsi no, ssf sure. But ssf are no longer new. Thing is one big institution comes in with a couple hundred million, and they are bigger then the entire retail arket, and that's just one institution.
0 Kudos
john_1
Super Contributor
0 Kudos
SimonPB
Valued Contributor
0 Kudos
DST
Super Contributor
Interesting to think that the "big swinging richard" institutions are really just bundled retail capital ... ...
0 Kudos
surfer
Regular Contributor
You would think that insitutions would sit on cash sometime instead of turning over stock.I suppose that is why the Satrix 40 is probally a better bet in some ways
0 Kudos
Shard
Super Contributor
I can tell that Asset Managers are currently trading alot more than they normally do in December. The festive season is usually quite in terms of trade volumes. It has declined a little on the last 3 months but is still way over what it normally is at this time
0 Kudos
Shard
Super Contributor
I can tell that Asset Managers are currently trading alot more than they normally do in December. The festive season is usually quite in terms of trade volumes. It has declined a little on the last 3 months but is still way over what it normally is at this time
0 Kudos
Shard
Super Contributor
0 Kudos
Not applicable
The cynical view is that they hav enot made enough this year in performance bonuses so they are churning their clients portfolios to chase up fees & commissions. Every "talking head" keeps saying "I'm in cash until the market shows direction & the volatility settles", but in reality they dont earn any real money off their portfolios if they just sit in cash & wait. So hey ho - we re-weight portfolios, we sell off good stocks because they are at the bottom of their cycle & that will affect our newspaper rankings come end of year reviwes etc etc - basically a let's re-arrange the chairs & get paid to do so... omo
0 Kudos