Visit our COVID-19 site for latest information regarding how we can support you. For up to date information about the pandemic visit www.sacoronavirus.co.za.

bs-regular
bs-extra-light
bs-light
bs-light
bs-cond-light-webfont
bs-medium
bs-bold
bs-black

Community

Share knowledge. Ask questions. Find answers.

Online Share Trading

Engage and learn about markets and trading online

sbk good value

divz
Super Contributor
patrik.. Bear Sterns was also a good bank. Maybe EU banks have a lot more exposure to sub prime than SA banks therefore should be cheeper
0 Kudos
Shaun_Siddall
Super Contributor
Rem SA banks still predicting growth of inflation plus 5% (this is priced in). Those low PE's are only real if earnings/results when released can support it. Future losses is key and PE of 4 could be 20 before you blink!
0 Kudos
Not applicable
After chinese bank (CEB) deal late 2007, SBK climbed to the higher price of 12000 cents and I was convinced that share price will not come down to struggle under 9900. However I was wrong. So as a new investor at JSE, I haven't found a faith in our local banks, except going short. Still long way to go!!!
0 Kudos
TheoPrinsloo
Contributor
Just look at MF Global (65% in the red) and Lehman Brothers (30% in red). If any other big names like Bear Stearns take a plunge then no banking stock is cheap at the moment.
0 Kudos
SimonPB
Valued Contributor
peoples, also remember that Bear Stearns is not a bank in the traditional sense.
0 Kudos
Not applicable
its pretty sad that our banks have to pay the penalty becoz of those sub-prime dimwit red-necks...anyways, i still think sbk has 1 more power run in them...
0 Kudos
TheoPrinsloo
Contributor
Go SBK go - i love gearing!!!!
0 Kudos
Not applicable
watch the dow and the rand
0 Kudos