Visit our COVID-19 site for latest information regarding how we can support you. For up to date information about the pandemic visit www.sacoronavirus.co.za.

bs-regular
bs-extra-light
bs-light
bs-light
bs-cond-light-webfont
bs-medium
bs-bold
bs-black

Community

Share knowledge. Ask questions. Find answers.

Online Share Trading

Engage and learn about markets and trading online

selling (buying) into rand strength (dollar weakness) in the short term.

Peter3
Occasional Contributor
I'm a bit confused by this statement. Does it mean that you should buy dollars, wait for the Rand to weaken against the dollar, and then sell the dollars again when you made a profit?
0 Kudos
2 REPLIES 2
EkisDoep
Frequent Contributor
If you look at the $R Jun-10 currency future, that statement would mean selling the contract at the highest Rand value you can and then later buying it at the lowest Rand value you can. That is how I would understand it. But sometimes it confuses me as well, because you don't know if it means you should open a new position or close an existing position!
0 Kudos
HHuysamen
Occasional Contributor
If you are trading the ZAR/USD future, you are trading the relationship between the two. If you expect the rand to go up then you have the option of either buying ZAR or selling USD. It is the same thing! If you expect the rand to go down you can sell the ZAR or buy USD, again the same thing. It depends on whether you have access to ZAR/USD or USD/ZAR. Hope this makes sense.
0 Kudos