Visit our COVID-19 site for latest information regarding how we can support you. For up to date information about the pandemic visit www.sacoronavirus.co.za.

bs-regular
bs-extra-light
bs-light
bs-light
bs-cond-light-webfont
bs-medium
bs-bold
bs-black

Community

Share knowledge. Ask questions. Find answers.

Online Share Trading

Engage and learn about markets and trading online

selling shares

gerry1
New Contributor
hi all , i am a bit of a novice - i have a 14 % increase on my shares thus far - should i hold on or should i sell ?
0 Kudos
3 REPLIES 3
Nolan
Contributor
That all depends on your trading strategy and the rules that you have set for yourself. Remember Greed is an emotion and so is fear, dont trade on emotion.
0 Kudos
ABuzz
Super Contributor
Hi Gerry. It all depends on the reasoning for your investment and the period you want to be in for. Over what period have you made 14%? Perhaps if you tell us what shares you are holding we could give our thinking on them individually. I have different "sections" to my portfolio, those I hold long term, generally good stable stuff; those I trade for quicker profits of between 5-15% over a couple of days to about 6 weeks and then my last small section, which is highly speculative (might have to sit with these for a while or could make a killing overnight, depends)
0 Kudos
SimonPB
Valued Contributor
yip, sellign always first depends on why you bought. Time, income or growth etc. hence before you buy always work out what you're tryign to achieve (apart from wealth), it helps witht he selling.
0 Kudos