Visit our COVID-19 site for latest information regarding how we can support you. For up to date information about the pandemic visit www.sacoronavirus.co.za.

bs-regular
bs-extra-light
bs-light
bs-light
bs-cond-light-webfont
bs-medium
bs-bold
bs-black

Community

Share knowledge. Ask questions. Find answers.

Online Share Trading

Engage and learn about markets and trading online

statistician

SimonPB
Valued Contributor
this si the important point in all of this ==>. "The fact that over time the markets trend upwards means there SHOULD be more green candles than red"
0 Kudos
Rams
Super Contributor
0 Kudos
prancing_horse
Super Contributor
Are you squint?, ABL's trend was down for months and months and even there, there were plenty of green candles (small) and monstrous red ones.
0 Kudos
SimonPB
Valued Contributor
african bank you would note is not and was not a market, it was a stock .. very important point ..
0 Kudos
Rams
Super Contributor
I can point out LEHMAN Brothers but your point taken....was just wondering about BIAS ?
0 Kudos
Bouwer
Super Contributor
I think the natural bias is that the market is going up and that is the view of most fund managers, individuals investors, and any outsiders.
0 Kudos
SimonPB
Valued Contributor
a market is an index and an index by its design goes higher .. losses get booted out winers get added .. so indices go up
0 Kudos
Brainware
Frequent Contributor
What about the Martingale strategy? http://www.investopedia.com/articles/forex/06/martingale.asp You may need some wide pockets and true "the trend" is your friend is another variable that influences the odds
0 Kudos
Bouwer
Super Contributor
But isn't that what any trader does? Bet that he will make a win, if he/she doesn't they recoup and try again.. I don't double down though.. One ALSI contract plus maybe 5 point spread. 2% stop loss, 100K Cap. 5 losing trades in a row will set you back Will set you back R42K... just to make up 2K that you lost initially and another 2k profit..
0 Kudos
THRESHOLD
Super Contributor
Since my apple is green and certainly not a raven; and since Ravens are always black, my green apple increases the confidence of the assertion that Ravens are always black...
0 Kudos
Bouwer
Super Contributor
As a side note though, where is Preston? Sure he would have loved trolling this post?
0 Kudos
Rams
Super Contributor
about flipping coins...green or red will be the same flipping odds....but it has no relevance to profit or loss as far as the market is concerned....remember just one RED candle can wipe out profits from 9 green candles...but your green to red was still a win ratio of 9:1
0 Kudos
THRESHOLD
Super Contributor
Personally I prefer the coin toss - I get a 50/50 chance. With the market seem to "think" my way to slimmer odds than that.
0 Kudos
samoa
Super Contributor
Lesson:Do not invest all your coins in the likes of Abil. Keep some to flip!
0 Kudos
THRESHOLD
Super Contributor
ABIL is not an investment - it lacks the balance sheet. It's an out and out punt.
0 Kudos
Rams
Super Contributor
its called mad money...6 of those in a mad money portfolio....the coin odds will give a 50% loss...with some good money management,you still come out a winner.
0 Kudos
koos2
Super Contributor
Could you name the other 5 again please?
0 Kudos
Rams
Super Contributor
0 Kudos
Rams
Super Contributor
for the conservative...AIP and SHP; based on management in both those, can turn around
0 Kudos
Not applicable
otherwise known as the dogs of the dow strategy (we came up with a JSE equivalent some time ago can't recall what though - teefie of the JSE, something like that). A well documented strategy, with well documented lack of success.
0 Kudos