Visit our COVID-19 site for latest information regarding how we can support you. For up to date information about the pandemic visit www.sacoronavirus.co.za.

bs-regular
bs-extra-light
bs-light
bs-light
bs-cond-light-webfont
bs-medium
bs-bold
bs-black

Community

Share knowledge. Ask questions. Find answers.

Online Share Trading

Engage and learn about markets and trading online

stop losses long term investments

THRESHOLD
Super Contributor
No. The dividend is a dividend by nature regardless. More importantly:- the loss on the cleared ex dividend stock is speculative - it belongs in income - it could as well have gone up (not likely though.)
0 Kudos
geordie1
Super Contributor
i have opinion that stop loss is a good way of taking profit at appropriate time.i have an approach which basically looks at selling 50% of my holding in a share that has doubled in price.obviously u need to apply some common sense re fundamentals but its always nice to get your money back and then reinvest somewhere else.if I AM CONFIDENT in a share I like to buy more as it goes down but sometimes i lose my nerve and chicken out
0 Kudos
SimonPB
Valued Contributor
but what about the share that goes up many 100% over a period ?? you have sold a bunch in the early days ??
0 Kudos
Rams
Super Contributor
And what about the share that go down many 100% over a period of time and you have not sold a bunch in the early days......maybe taking profits at targets a problem, but if a share is going up, moving your stop into profit will keep you in the share that goes up, you just have to know where to place the stop....taking profit at stop better than taking profit at targets?.......
0 Kudos
U-Dog
Contributor
If a share goes DOWN many 100%'s we have new problems....
0 Kudos
SimonPB
Valued Contributor
Rams, but now we back at investing vs. trading stop loss issue
0 Kudos
PKC
New Contributor
Twice I have put trailing stop losses in place on the ALMI. They trigger, however the order does not realise and I have lost double the amount. Is this a system error or has the price dropped to far to sell at my price. Any idea how to set this up that it does not happen again, maybe Simon? Thanks
0 Kudos
SimonPB
Valued Contributor
on almi it a lack of liquidity, triggers but buyers in market not at your price so no trade
0 Kudos
Rams
Super Contributor
ok, i take that back...not relevant to investing.
0 Kudos
Preston
Super Contributor
0 Kudos
PKC
New Contributor
Thanks Simon! So I guess it is better to try and get out manually if the market turns (less risk I suppose). When I eventually move to ALSI (which will probably take 6 months of saving - LOL), there will be more buyers and sellers, so the stop will trigger and sell/buy (hopefully). Thanks for the lazy system on the futures - works like a charm!
0 Kudos