Visit our COVID-19 site for latest information regarding how we can support you. For up to date information about the pandemic visit www.sacoronavirus.co.za.

bs-regular
bs-extra-light
bs-light
bs-light
bs-cond-light-webfont
bs-medium
bs-bold
bs-black

Community

Share knowledge. Ask questions. Find answers.

Online Share Trading

Engage and learn about markets and trading online

tablet pc's and OST

doomsdayza
Super Contributor
hi all, anyone currently using a tablet pc to run OST and some live charting (either easy trader or forexpros.com - not sure if you can run silverlight on a tablet pc)? i want to run my setups off the tablet and would max need live 15 min charts and access to std bank OST. is this possible on the current range of tablets pc's out there? obviously 3g would be a prerequisite...

leaning towards a galaxy s or the new sony. the hp touchpad is only $99 but doesn't have 3g (yet)... not sure if you can link it up to a 3g dongle though.

any feedback would be appreciated!

cheers
0 Kudos
15 REPLIES 15
BoburUncle
Regular Contributor
My friend has the IPad 2, and man, I've seen the Galaxy and it doesnt come anywhere near the IPad.
0 Kudos
Not applicable
I heard Apple just brought out a new app, Steve Jobs made it himself ... iQuit. :P
0 Kudos
Not applicable
On this note, I bought a new Galaxy Tab 10.1 last week and it doesn't run OST at all. I have tried 5 different browsers and you can't select tabs, if I want to select tools tab it crashes. Please fix! Otherwise the galaxy tab is amazing, so happy with it!
0 Kudos
raps
Frequent Contributor
does anybody have the blackberry playbook? if so...how does it compare? I have an ipad which is great apart from the fact that there is no flash or java support. So most programs (including ost) will not run
0 Kudos
SimonPB
Valued Contributor
touchpad is no more .. was a clearence sale of sorts .. could pick it up on ebay but at +$99
0 Kudos
Amar
Contributor
I you must run silverlight you can get a tablet that runs windows 7, not as cool or user friendly as the iPad or galaxy tab etc, I see samsung have just lanched a windows tab that tries to improve the interface. Not sure when it will be available in SA. http://www.expertreviews.co.uk/tablet-pcs/1286941/samsung-700t-windows-7-tablet-launches
0 Kudos
Werner_1
Super Contributor
I think the online brokerages should look into HTML 5 and its new features to create a charting app. this will then work on all the tablets and everyone will be happy :) btw: I have an iPad and think its the coolest thing in the world.
0 Kudos
doomsdayza
Super Contributor
thks for feedback guys... i really thought tablet pc's were a bit more capable than they currently are :) cheers
0 Kudos
Preston
Super Contributor
Werner, does OST and Easytrader work on IPAD?
0 Kudos
Werner_1
Super Contributor
I have never used EasyTrader, but OST, the main website works perfectly, never tried the charts but think they will not work so well. But as a long term investor i dont look at these the whole time and the ipad works well for all the other stuff i need to check up on, etc.
0 Kudos
Rams
Super Contributor
trading aside(tablet PC screen too small anyway for live trades and charting), nothing beats the IPAD 2...check out Tom Cat 2!
0 Kudos
fulcrum
Occasional Contributor
Tablet's are quite capable, but Apple refuses to support Flash and I assume by extension Silverlight(MS's competing technology). It looks like the mono(Linux port of MS's .Net tech) guys have silverlight working on Android though. http://jeffreystedfast.blogspot.com/2011/04/moonlight-on-android.html So you could use a galaxy tab for OST and Easytrader in the not to distant future. An HTML 5 App would be the best though.
0 Kudos
Rams
Super Contributor
And what about the MICRO -SIM for IPAD 2...anybody cut their CELL C data SIM.
0 Kudos
BoburUncle
Regular Contributor
I saw RAGE on my friends iPad 2, WOW!
0 Kudos
Werner_1
Super Contributor
my iPad 1 has a micro-SIM and i got one from Vodacom long time ago, i think the SIM isnt a problem at all. MTN also has them, got one in my iPhone. If the Brokerage really wants to be fancy they should create apps for iPad and Android, but then one needs a BB Playbook one as well, thats lots of work, but would be the best user experience. I have one from TDAmeritrade which is just fantastic!
0 Kudos