Visit our COVID-19 site for latest information regarding how we can support you. For up to date information about the pandemic visit www.sacoronavirus.co.za.

bs-regular
bs-extra-light
bs-light
bs-light
bs-cond-light-webfont
bs-medium
bs-bold
bs-black

Community

Share knowledge. Ask questions. Find answers.

Online Share Trading

Engage and learn about markets and trading online

the best of times,...

barry_1
Super Contributor
....the worst of times....coal is always needed....to start a a recovery and also with winter approaching....i hold no brief for any coal share in particular ...here is my watchlist of coal shares,part coal shares and wannabe coal shares if they can raise enough capital to exploit their reserves such as merafe! ....CZA..EXX..KEH..MMH..MRF..PET..SAH..SNU..WES....slowly trending upwards for some time now.
0 Kudos
14 REPLIES 14
Major
Regular Contributor
I prefer SNU because its reasonably diversified between services to mines and exploration, and its own mines which are being developed. Some of the others are still exploring, and are a long way off making any money.
0 Kudos
barry_1
Super Contributor
Yes i like your choice,best of the bunch,with the smaller Wescoal being my other choice....many moons ago,i used to subscribe to personal finance of martin spring fame....in that a Major also wrote about coal....that was at the height of the coal mines....before anglos and the billitons swallowed them all....they used to pay large dividends and had good capital gains too....now i wonder if that was u,i purposrely have left out initials.... anyways that advice came in handy.
0 Kudos
Major
Regular Contributor
I'm not that major I'm afraid, although I am involved with the industry
0 Kudos
SIMBA
Super Contributor
Major do you know if Grindrod will be allowed to construct their own railway,to transport coal, if so when ? If they are given the green light they look a good buy whilst they are waiting for a shipping recovery regards........
0 Kudos
Major
Regular Contributor
I'm afraid I have no knowledge of what Grindrod might do. I've been a long term holder of their shares, and wouldn't be selling them even in the current environment. If a new rail line gets built, it'll probably be a public/private partnership with Transnet. This would be several years away at the earliest, if the Richards Bay and Sishen lines are any yardstick...
0 Kudos
SimonPB
Valued Contributor
I am interviewing CZA tonight, podcast will be online from 8.30pm at classic.co.za .. live on classficfm at about 7.20pm ..
0 Kudos
Plonky
Super Contributor
Hi Simon... who will you be talking to from CZA ??
0 Kudos
SimonPB
Valued Contributor
riaan van der merwe, coo ..
0 Kudos
Plonky
Super Contributor
Hello Simon... I am sorry I missed the discussion. Was there any good news about CZA ?
0 Kudos
SKALA
Super Contributor
New life in SNU?? I hope so.
0 Kudos
barry_1
Super Contributor
Seems so,EXX and CZA also starting to take off....Simons radio chat might have helped!....The way i see it ,the increasing demand for coal is the first tell tale signs of a recovery.
0 Kudos
SKALA
Super Contributor
Hi Barry, I actually think that SNU may have made very good progress to solve their management problems and that they are busy recovering some of the stolen funds. This should boost the result numbers nicely. Wonder what their results will be like? I added to my holdings at the low price recently.
0 Kudos
barry_1
Super Contributor
Hello Skala,yes i added to mine as well,as i think the worst is behind them....Major also favours them.
0 Kudos