Visit our COVID-19 site for latest information regarding how we can support you. For up to date information about the pandemic visit www.sacoronavirus.co.za.

bs-regular
bs-extra-light
bs-light
bs-light
bs-cond-light-webfont
bs-medium
bs-bold
bs-black

Community

Share knowledge. Ask questions. Find answers.

Online Share Trading

Engage and learn about markets and trading online

the real Q

SimonPB
Valued Contributor
somebody what's rich .. so here's the real Q .. how much money do you need in your bank account tomorrow to never have to go back to work ??
0 Kudos
43 REPLIES 43
hippo
Contributor
The first variable for a general answer - what are your requirements? Pap en sheba or caviar and champaigne?
0 Kudos
Ninja
Super Contributor
IMO, its not a fixed number but an ability to generate unlimited ongoing income through some endeavour where you are totally free and not chained to the 9 to 5.
0 Kudos
Blik
Super Contributor
It depends on your current lifestyle - but for me I reckon 4 mill would do it. 3 mill invested wisely in decent high dividend yield shares, and another 1 mill either in cash as a back up, or in another business with dividends. At a 5% DY, you get between 150K - 200K tax free, and that would be enough for me. But then again if you are used to 500K a year, then that may not work. It all depends on what your current base is.
0 Kudos
WR
Regular Contributor
dividends are taxable in the hands of the reciever
0 Kudos
Blik
Super Contributor
Nope the company pays the dividend - not the individual. Unless it has changed really recently.
0 Kudos
Blik
Super Contributor
As I understand it the Company will pay the tax on the dividend for the individual, but the % yield should remain the same for the shareholder...although I am on shaky ground here.
0 Kudos
Cherry
Regular Contributor
Ever looked at Maslow's Hierarchy of Needs? Once 1 need is satisfied your needs become greater. To achieve this, can you really say you're rich. How much money is enough? All depends on one's insatiable appetite. For some 3 million is enough, but I can truly say that when I have 3 million, I just know I'd NEED more to keep going at the same pace.
0 Kudos
Not applicable
If I could start with 1 cents and double that every day for 1 year I will have all the moeny I will ever need and then some left over for about three generations to spend.......
0 Kudos
Goldbull
Frequent Contributor
Anton Rupert went around in 1950 selling Rembrant shares to farmers. If you bought R1,000 worth of shares then, they would be worth R32-million today.
0 Kudos
AJT
Super Contributor
Tell me how long I am going to live and i will give you an answer...
0 Kudos
Wizard
Super Contributor
If are 30 year old u need 50 million. Your interest after tax will be 150,000k. By the time u are 60-70 it will come down to 15,000k. Perfect! Never have to work again!
0 Kudos
SimonPB
Valued Contributor
dude your math don't work ..
0 Kudos
SimonPB
Valued Contributor
here's one route not being mentioned .. money into CPI linked gov bond .. taxable, but low risk an removes CPI risk .. remove less then the income every year to ensure future growth of income .. die with a truck load of cash ..
0 Kudos
Wizard
Super Contributor
which part teacher
0 Kudos
Wizard
Super Contributor
this is 150,000k/month
0 Kudos
Not applicable
If I had a mill or 3 spare I'd buy some residential property in the US now. Prices are close to positive cashflow at the moment, and its at times like these when nobody wants to touch real estate that millionaires are made.
0 Kudos
SimonPB
Valued Contributor
aha, yes then we on the same page ..
0 Kudos
Not applicable
So how much is enough for u Simon?
0 Kudos
Wizard
Super Contributor
Silvio Berlusconi type getting rich ;)
0 Kudos