Visit our COVID-19 site for latest information regarding how we can support you. For up to date information about the pandemic visit www.sacoronavirus.co.za.

bs-regular
bs-extra-light
bs-light
bs-light
bs-cond-light-webfont
bs-medium
bs-bold
bs-black

Community

Share knowledge. Ask questions. Find answers.

Online Share Trading

Engage and learn about markets and trading online

today

SimonPB
Valued Contributor
is the 79th anniversary of the 1929 crash.
0 Kudos
47 REPLIES 47
Werner_1
Super Contributor
lol. It looks like its almost living up to expectations. hehe.
0 Kudos
G_V_V
Super Contributor
The only difference is that there was no internet back then to save the markets.
0 Kudos
niemand
Contributor
Thanks Simon. You are just full of cheer. This market is just insane. Perhaps the traders should stop acting like lemmings, look up from their screens and stop feeding off each others fears. Anyway, I'm pretty pissed off that a bunch of greedy f**kers in the US have just negated my saving and maybe put me out of a job.
0 Kudos
Not applicable
jse went through 18400 next stop is 16000
0 Kudos
MichaelR
Regular Contributor
Time to buy!
0 Kudos
Not applicable
not yet wait for dow to hit 6'000 and jse 16'000
0 Kudos
GL
Contributor
Happy Anniversary :)
0 Kudos
Werner_1
Super Contributor
MichaelR, i agree, long term buying will in a few years be very profitable... but then i should actually not say this, someone will now attack me again...
0 Kudos
_nova
Super Contributor
Oct 24 1929, better known as Black Thursday, was when a record 12.9 bars of shares were traded. The DOW closed just 6 points down because banks and investment companies bought up blocks of stock to try and stop the panic. It didn't help because Black Monday and Black Tuesday followed.
0 Kudos
Wizard
Super Contributor
It was actually on 29 OCT. Which means we will now 3 important dates 19,24 and 29 OCT!
0 Kudos
Cruising
Contributor
Thanks Simon, the good thing is that if history repeats itself again after this current drop, we will not be around next time
0 Kudos
Not applicable
Way on, man. At last someone who sees the silver lining. Even if it is in a casket.
0 Kudos
Not applicable
for christmas i am buying a mirror will hang it on the wall and the whole family will look at while we are starving of hunger
0 Kudos
Werner_1
Super Contributor
Simon, do you know where i can find a chart for the JSE and DJIA that includes the 1929 crash, my data at home only has 15 years history? how long did it take to recover after that crash, i think the great depression kicked in then, not? then the WWII re-arming helped the economy (US) get out the trouble. but i could be wrong, i wasn't around that time, lol...
0 Kudos
SimonPB
Valued Contributor
Werner - google, serious. They ahve a finance section and I have found it before.
0 Kudos
_nova
Super Contributor
it took 25 years for the DJIA to breach the 1929 level. very sobering
0 Kudos
Not applicable
The market rally starts now...
0 Kudos
Werner_1
Super Contributor
Simon, thanks, i have been to google finance before, just forgot about it... will check it out...
0 Kudos
Not applicable
WOW... great call Wena, what sparked it?
0 Kudos