Visit our COVID-19 site for latest information regarding how we can support you. For up to date information about the pandemic visit www.sacoronavirus.co.za.

bs-regular
bs-extra-light
bs-light
bs-light
bs-cond-light-webfont
bs-medium
bs-bold
bs-black

Community

Share knowledge. Ask questions. Find answers.

Online Share Trading

Engage and learn about markets and trading online

top40 vs ftse and dow

ian_kotze
Regular Contributor
Good morning people, how is everyone doing. Havent been chating in some months. I have been traveling through asia since january and having a great time. Currently im in Krabi thailand and doing night shifts to whatch the football and do some dow jones trading. Anyhow the south african markets - top 40 hase been holding up very nicely compared to the ftse and dow the last couple of days in this down swing. Any ideas why or is it the football feaver over there.
0 Kudos
8 REPLIES 8
ian_kotze
Regular Contributor
jees this forum really is dead, not even a hello or who the hell are you again or yes i have a football craze and therefore i keep the shares up or anything?
0 Kudos
Not applicable
0 Kudos
suki
Super Contributor
what are u upto up there when everyone is down here. we are watching soccer, please don't disturb.
0 Kudos
john_1
Super Contributor
Hozit mate.. sounds like you having quite a holiday... the large caps are starting to serriously underperform on a relative basis but industrials are doing very well ...so dont expect the outperformance of the JSE to continue...
0 Kudos
ian_kotze
Regular Contributor
ok dow and europe taking big knocks now
0 Kudos
ian_kotze
Regular Contributor
ok i take it consumer confidence is not gonna safe us from the down side
0 Kudos
Not applicable
0 Kudos
ian_kotze
Regular Contributor
so, an ugly day all in all but consider that we are still way off our yearly lows while other markets are at this moment trying to put in new ones. I think it is because of the soccer. That rally started with the soccer world cup, now it is known that if you are in a good mood you buy more easily and sell less easily with market moves. So my theory is that we chased the marked up more than others did and when the sell of came we sold off less all because there has been a hype and good cheer all round south africa. Should the dow and others brake their year to date lows we may have to catch up fast.
0 Kudos