Visit our COVID-19 site for latest information regarding how we can support you. For up to date information about the pandemic visit www.sacoronavirus.co.za.

bs-regular
bs-extra-light
bs-light
bs-light
bs-cond-light-webfont
bs-medium
bs-bold
bs-black

Community

Share knowledge. Ask questions. Find answers.

Online Share Trading

Engage and learn about markets and trading online

top40

Not applicable
does any1 know why there is such a huge descrepancy between OSL live price of the TOP40 and the one qouted on IG markets website
0 Kudos
9 REPLIES 9
SimonPB
Valued Contributor
IG shade it ??
0 Kudos
DEP
Super Contributor
IG is futures market (march-12)
0 Kudos
Not applicable
which one seems more current?
0 Kudos
SimonPB
Valued Contributor
well OST is live, unshaded ..
0 Kudos
Not applicable
right, here we go (spits on palms and rubs hands). IG shades their prices. They work their comms into the bid and ask price that they present to you -typically 6 points either side. Now here is the really neat part - IG also has latency worked in - you are not actually seeing a live price, it would be impossible, you are seeing a price which comes off their server, which has taken the live stream and reworked the price to give you the shaded one. So you have a) shading and b) latency. Now you can also include what I also suspect c) - which is that they can actually play the spread in their favour - i.e. they are overlaying their own traders' prices vs those that area actually traded on the market.So if an IGMarket trader places a trade at 30883, IG does not necessarily immediately place the same trade - at the other end of the spread and pocket the difference. They have 6pts room to move and still be in the money, if they have a computerized system capable of reacting fast enough. So, in short, I suspect that IG is trading with your trades.
0 Kudos
SimonPB
Valued Contributor
skaap, yip .. but they can't be putting every trade through the market anyways, coz their margin is about a third of Safex .. they netting clients off against each other ..
0 Kudos
Not applicable
Actually, if you think about it Simon, it is the perfect business - risk free from their perspective - because even if they get caught on the wrong end of the trade - they just turn it into a paper trade and net it off. Now why is it that their counterparts - Purple Capital, can never make any money?
0 Kudos
SimonPB
Valued Contributor
risk free until it blows up .. then you just walk away (well actually run like hell) .. purple, they'll make money hen we have a rampent bull, but I suspect they been losing clients to IG coz they more expensive, an maybe PPE hedge thier client positions more ??
0 Kudos
Not applicable
To me the strategy seems really simple - your client places a trade at 30890 - you immmediately place a trade on the JSE at say - 30874 (the other end of a 10pt spread). Since the live price is actually 30884. Now let's say that you don't actually get your position on the JSE - well if your software is quick enough - you can zero out your position at 30890 - leaving you with 0 risk. If you by some unfortunate event picked up two trades - well you will be in the money so no harm done. And you could easily build in some rules - like there has to be a certain volume of asking prices below your breakeven point. In some cases, you might actually pick up a full blown reversal - where the client's trade pulled back immediately - and you make a whopping margin.
0 Kudos