Visit our COVID-19 site for latest information regarding how we can support you. For up to date information about the pandemic visit www.sacoronavirus.co.za.

bs-regular
bs-extra-light
bs-light
bs-light
bs-cond-light-webfont
bs-medium
bs-bold
bs-black

Community

Share knowledge. Ask questions. Find answers.

Online Share Trading

Engage and learn about markets and trading online

trade of the day...

Not applicable
John...you just made a mistake thats all....no need to chuck in all these other issues....the devil is in the detail though and if as you say " the data released during trading hours is a whole different ballgame" you gotta at least know when this data is released...
0 Kudos
Not applicable
0 Kudos
Not applicable
stranger things have happened...
0 Kudos
Supa
Contributor
Chartist, sorry to ask a stupid question, but what is the code for the Top 40 futures contracts? I'm quite new to the futures thing and want to monitor it. Thanks.
0 Kudos
Tenor
Contributor
Hey Supa.... I asked the same question yesterday.. didnt receive any answers ... maybe we are asking the wrong questions
0 Kudos
Supa
Contributor
Tenor, just got off the phone with Std Bank and the lady there assured me that you can't trade the Top40 index only the Satrix40??? Could the correlation between the Stx40 at +/- 2800c and the Top40 index at +/- 28000 points have something to do with it? I guess we gonna have to wait for a reply from someone in the know...
0 Kudos
Tenor
Contributor
Yes... that's definately one way to trade the top 40 .... I was interested in the fact that Chartist mentioned that he traded the top 40 directly. Maybe I took his words out of context.STX40 is definately an option .... you can see that its chart is the same as the alsi for the day
0 Kudos
scandal
Super Contributor
you would have to use another provider not OST. DWT seem to offer a good deal. Check out their site www.dwt.co.za i ethink you can also paper trade with them. Shouldn't be too difficult to set up account as they are in CT. good luck
0 Kudos
asylum
Super Contributor
Well Supa the lady is wrong you can trade the top 40 futures but not from the standard bank site, try global trader.
0 Kudos
Not applicable
Tenor...yes sorry I went into town quickly.....yes DWT offer excellent service and the cheapest fees I have ever come across...
0 Kudos
DCTrader
Super Contributor
Quick summary... You can't trade the Top40. Derivates/Futures contracts exist that you can trade. On this site you can get direct exposure to the Top40 via the Satrix40 and TOP Wave Warrant and normal warrants. Forget about trying to trade using Satrix... it's a long term investment tool with very little gearing and your brokerage would eat up all your profits. Wave warrants are damn risky and can either make you very rich or very poor. Futures give you the best exposure but you cant trade them on this platform... this is what Chartist and co are trading... they have slightly different index levels than the cash market and work ito contracts offering you greater exposure.
0 Kudos