Visit our COVID-19 site for latest information regarding how we can support you. For up to date information about the pandemic visit www.sacoronavirus.co.za.

bs-regular
bs-extra-light
bs-light
bs-light
bs-cond-light-webfont
bs-medium
bs-bold
bs-black

Community

Share knowledge. Ask questions. Find answers.

Online Share Trading

Engage and learn about markets and trading online

trading CF's

Sheedo
New Contributor
Hi I am a first time trader and would like some assistance. Just to see how it works - I bought 2 contracts today at an underlying price of 9.8000. what does MTM mean (this price was 10.11 as it stands in my portfolio)and if i want to sell to make a profit which price do i look at? underlying or MTM. Im confused so please help Thanks
0 Kudos
5 REPLIES 5
Theater_Cat
Super Contributor
Derivatives/CF's is the LAST THING YOU SHOULD BE TRADING AS A FIRST TIMER...! Take your money and run! Start by reading many many books then start investing with plain ordinary shares. Not trying to discourage you, just advise you of the extreme dangers.
0 Kudos
Vano
Regular Contributor
I agree with T.C. You are rushing in where angels fear to tread. With derivatives, you can lose all your money very quickly. Get some knowledge first.
0 Kudos
Sheedo
New Contributor
Ok I meant first time trader of CF's. I have traded ordinary shares etc. I just wanted some knowledge on CF's and share futures. So if any one can comment on the transaction i encounted as explained in the first message. I appreciate your concern - its great to know people out there care. Thanks again
0 Kudos
SimonPB
Valued Contributor
MTM is te fair value closing price, you can not tarde at that price .. it is just used for daily profit/loss ..
0 Kudos
WR
Regular Contributor
If you a first time trader stay away from derivities. They highly geared instruments and you could loose all your money and some
0 Kudos