Visit our COVID-19 site for latest information regarding how we can support you. For up to date information about the pandemic visit www.sacoronavirus.co.za.

bs-regular
bs-extra-light
bs-light
bs-light
bs-cond-light-webfont
bs-medium
bs-bold
bs-black

Community

Share knowledge. Ask questions. Find answers.

Online Share Trading

Engage and learn about markets and trading online

trading the alsi via SFM

john_1
Super Contributor
Hozit guys, I am interested to understand your experiences trading the Alsi through this platform. Despite my regular contributions to the forum its been years since I actually traded any geared instrument via SFM.. I have heard the trailing stop is good but not so sure about not being able to see the live market etc..
0 Kudos
17 REPLIES 17
SimonPB
Valued Contributor
stops work a treat, hit market in second or less sometimes being filled above stop level .. prices, easy trader fine with one major bug .. can't see yesterdays data, new version ET solves that and brings a whole bunch more functionality .. I trade ALSI here, cheap, quick enough and I like everything in one place .. makes moving monies around easier ..
0 Kudos
john_1
Super Contributor
Ya. never been really happy with the DWT system in that it does not have a trailing stop function... I am a little sceptical of the easy trader knowing the troubles with the previous system, Never have used it though.. talk me through the trailing stop..do you just set trailing x number of points?
0 Kudos
Not applicable
Dwt has trailing stop on new version of swordfish, and one can trade of chart..makes life very easy.Sbk has a easy and functional trading platform, and as simon said one doesn't have to move money all in one place
0 Kudos
Not applicable
Simon , any idea when the 'new' easy trader will be implemented?
0 Kudos
SimonPB
Valued Contributor
you mean price streamer ?? nah completely different in every sense .. trailing is either poits or % based and than a amount to exceed by .. so if stop is hit at 29050 you can set exceed by say 30 points and a limit order will go to market at 29020
0 Kudos
SimonPB
Valued Contributor
my understanding was way soon, but will know more tomorrow ..
0 Kudos
john_1
Super Contributor
my feeling is that having the money all in one place is a huge advantage.
0 Kudos
john_1
Super Contributor
my feeling is that having the money all in one place is a huge advantage.
0 Kudos
Ninja
Super Contributor
John, moving cash is easy....have the best trading platform at your disposal is the biggest advantage in the market place alongside iron cast discipline. I personally don't trade the ASlsi as I find its wild swings a little hectic for my contitution. I do however trade the Dow and Ftse paying a measly 1 point in and 1 out, ftse half of that. I have the best charts in the world available to me, intra day and med term tech analysis provided throughout the trading day ( Trading Central - check em out on google) which is a handy sounding board and scarily accurate interms of set levels and most importantly intra day trends. I deal direct from my charts with opening price, stop loss and target all plotted on the chart so I cant ***** it up if I tried to. When I close my position all related price orders are cancelled at the same time - basic stuff but not all platforms are capable of the basics and left open positions can bite you when you least expect it. I make money consistently and I cannot see how that would be possible without the cutting edge technology my platform delivers. All the best in choosing your platform, my opinion is that if the very best is the same cost as the luke warm, its no contest. By the way, the ftse trades all day and the Dow till 10pm - would be great to see you in the DJI pit one day!
0 Kudos
Not applicable
Hallo Frost, can you please give me directions to new trailing stop loss feature on Swordfish, tx
0 Kudos
john_1
Super Contributor
thnaks Nija. I have traded for years with IG.. I have always made money of them,usually directly but thats another story) and I use DWT.. I use SFM for the long term stuff. I thought I would certainly consider SFM as they (and Simon) have worked hard to up their game.. I asume you trade through the deal thu charts on IG?
0 Kudos
Not applicable
MEMYSELFANDI I find it better to have a fixed stop when trading on swordfish, to my knowledge you can jsut setup as normal for a stop(above or below the set price) depending if you are short or long and enterthe amount it should trail with example 50pts..
0 Kudos
Ninja
Super Contributor
Yip...use deal thru charts.....find the on chart point tracking and stop loss highlights very useful in managing my trade in terms of taking profits etc. I have deceided to stop punting IG on this chat forum and keep my discussions re broker choice brand neutral as despite all of OST's developmental needs I firmly believe they have the best training in the market - and for free. Not sure what next re my account here as the chat room is fairly quiet these days and as amusing as Fredsed is, I am learning at C's site and Simon's JustOneLap site....here I have learn't zip. Are you back to trading full time now? Not sure how many serious traders there are in Cape Town but maybe we could find a couple and get together once a month or something - Im not interested in trading clubs and all that cr*p but maybe a sharing of different techniques and perspectives could prove useful - would be great to spend the day with 4/5 traders and tarde the alsi/ftse together - maybe pick up a few entry/exit techniques and see some new strategies. A live trading clinic of types - maybe a proposal for C. Anyway....all the best on the Alse today.
0 Kudos
Rams
Super Contributor
Remember this is a chat forum for traders on this site, chating helps to keep site open for the next trade otherwise if its idle, it shuts down, and the more you trade and the more money you make, the more you chat. I would not chat here if I was not trading here....if you want to learn, there is free face to face courses offered by OST and snacks to go with and you get to chat face to face to some real traders and investors with quality education behind their names...like Simon. The more *****chat, sorry..chitchat, the better....
0 Kudos
Not applicable
whats the clever people at SBK say about the easy update
0 Kudos
SimonPB
Valued Contributor
had bug, tis coming, no ETA beyond soon(ish) ..
0 Kudos
Not applicable
thanks Simon .......not holding my breath though
0 Kudos