Visit our COVID-19 site for latest information regarding how we can support you. For up to date information about the pandemic visit www.sacoronavirus.co.za.

bs-regular
bs-extra-light
bs-light
bs-light
bs-cond-light-webfont
bs-medium
bs-bold
bs-black

Community

Share knowledge. Ask questions. Find answers.

Online Share Trading

Engage and learn about markets and trading online

trading through a company vs personal

Rams
Super Contributor
Would that be LAMB (skaap) CHOPS?
0 Kudos
Rams
Super Contributor
Therein lies the problem...what's commission and whats a second source of income.all it means is that you cannot claim expenses of the second job from your salary. So claim all the expenses from the trading income?
0 Kudos
BC02
Super Contributor
you can claim the expenses, i have claimed the expenses, ive been audited by SARS and it has been signed off. Trading activities does not fall within the defintion of commission, a new business venture (like equity/derivative trading) is a trading activity (like a sole trader), getting a % of profits from a sale is a different story not applicable to this situation at all ...its really not complicated.
0 Kudos
Not applicable
Thanks all, lots of decent pointers here. In a nutshell though, the company will be trading, but will be retaining its profits - I will not be paying myself out with the proceeds. So dividends not applicable. I was more interested in understanding costs associated with trading out of a company. Do the trading desks charge more for companies?
0 Kudos
U-Dog
Contributor
SB OST doesn't. In fact for some reason I even get a higher interest rate on my company OST account versus my personal one fwiw. Other positive is that once you get the company registered for tax, you can get the benefit of either claiming back or not having dividends tax witheld on the basis that you will only be liable once dividends flow out of your company which is now the end of the food chain
0 Kudos
geordie1
Super Contributor
i have been doing this for 16 years.the arguements re pro and con all have some decent points.i have a personal account-tends to be long term investment account with minimal trades and low cash content.I have cc account more cash more trades and pretty adventurous compared to individual account-also feeds provident fund and allowable expenses.combination of both makes sense as long as you can afford to pay overheads to justify.
0 Kudos