Visit our COVID-19 site for latest information regarding how we can support you. For up to date information about the pandemic visit www.sacoronavirus.co.za.

bs-regular
bs-extra-light
bs-light
bs-light
bs-cond-light-webfont
bs-medium
bs-bold
bs-black

Community

Share knowledge. Ask questions. Find answers.

Online Share Trading

Engage and learn about markets and trading online

trading without emotion

Not applicable
How do you take the emotion out of trading - especially futures trading. How do u not stress about every little down movement (esp when going long). I understand the concept of a stop loss (although I dont see the option anymore) - but it still is nerve wrecking! Any thoughts....
0 Kudos
13 REPLIES 13
Preston
Super Contributor
This is what works for me. Run 10km in the morning, eat healthy , NO Cafeine/smoking and unnecessary intake of sugar.
0 Kudos
Rams
Super Contributor
jd247..even if you attended Simons "Trade to Trade Well" ten times, go to it another ten times or until you get the emotions out of trading.If you trading with emotions, dont trade, rather join Preston in the mornings!
0 Kudos
Quakedog
Super Contributor
Here is a good book! "The elements of investing"
0 Kudos
THRESHOLD
Super Contributor
If you clear a position tell yourself "I will always get in again cheaper!" That way - even if you have missed a potential profit or exited lower than your entry price - in theory you never have to accept an actual loss. OF COuRSE - this applies to trading stocks - not illiquid investment counters.
0 Kudos
Rams
Super Contributor
you must let the market take you out at your predermined exits , at the stop loss or profit levels....no matter what the market does in between your stop loss and profit levels, do nothing.....put your hands into gloves with no fingers!
0 Kudos
prancing_horse
Super Contributor
Invest the money you cannot or don't want to lose, and trade with money you can afford to lose. If you're afraid of losing money trading, guaranteed you will.Certainly works for me
0 Kudos
Preston
Super Contributor
Rams, a healthy body leads to a healthy mind which leads to better decision making and abiity to survive stressful situation.
0 Kudos
doomsdayza
Super Contributor
you need to understand and accept (embrace!!) your risk upfront. if u can't stomache this you're putting on too much risk.

mechanical systems are the way to eliminate all thinking and double guessing, emotion is another story. peace
0 Kudos
Not applicable
agreed with doomsdayza, as stressful as some days are if I stick to my system I handle the trading better emotionally - even if I make a loss. Mechanical systems work for me - thinking doesnt :)
0 Kudos
Rams
Super Contributor
and dont forget the Bible of trading: Trading in the Zone
0 Kudos
THRESHOLD
Super Contributor
Trade with someone else's money - then the only emotion involved is excitement!
0 Kudos
SimonPB
Valued Contributor
fear is generally one of two things .. both easy to solve
fear of being wrong - know what to measure and win/lose is not what you measure .. discipline is ..
fear of losing money - make the amount at risk small enough that it doesn;t matter (but then don;t trade like a troll coz the money don't matter) ..

an yes read trading in the zone
0 Kudos
PaulC
Super Contributor
discpline is a must. I also run and swim every day but this is what I found to be my saviour esp in futures. When I xfer into OST / GT247 whatever platform I look at the numbers as credits not money. I treat the futures market like a computer game. Once the money leaves my bank account I ASSUME IT NO LONGER EXISTS. If I am sitting on a 100k paper loss (I am right now) doesnt matter cause as far as Im concerned its not real money. It may seem strange but it works for me. So to answer your Q I guess look at the suggestions from the rest of the folks and then find what works for you. - P
0 Kudos