Visit our COVID-19 site for latest information regarding how we can support you. For up to date information about the pandemic visit www.sacoronavirus.co.za.

bs-regular
bs-extra-light
bs-light
bs-light
bs-cond-light-webfont
bs-medium
bs-bold
bs-black

Community

Share knowledge. Ask questions. Find answers.

Online Share Trading

Engage and learn about markets and trading online

tricky accounting here

Not applicable
Is it just me, or has the investment community as a whole misunderstood here. Telkom's PE is not 5.81, as stated by OST. It is closer to 13 right now (if you adjust for the once off medical aid reimbursement - whatever that is). So still not bad - assuming Telkom can keep posting gains, but there isn't an analyst out there that seems to think Telkom can pull that off - (if the reports are to be believed) - yet the price keeps climbing.
0 Kudos
20 REPLIES 20
Not applicable
I was thinking of getting out at R50 but it just continue up
0 Kudos
Russ
Super Contributor
Looks like a long term hold.
0 Kudos
SimonPB
Valued Contributor
that's ifrs for you ..
0 Kudos
Parttimer
Frequent Contributor
Sometimes I get the feeling that the GEPF and prob PIC are buying a lot of their own shares (indirectly) to boost this share price so that the government becomes richer. Its a ***** company which even more incompetent management. Trade it and make money but do not ask any other questions
0 Kudos
Rams
Super Contributor
the CEO was sent back to school to learn some company rules...more seriously i think they going to buy or merge with one of the celluar companies(my opinion)
0 Kudos
Not applicable
Add to that the purchase of another company with tricky financial disclosings(BCX). They are paying full price (22 times earnings) for a company in the same field as the star performer - EOH. Only EOH has consistently performed at 30% growth for years vs BCX up and down (interims have a drop in HEPS). Nothing to really wow the shareholders with here, IMO, but the market seems to love it!
0 Kudos
Parttimer
Frequent Contributor
shareholders should question why he is earning such a large salary if he spending millions on bringing consultants in to tell him what to do. These guys are two arrogant and overrate their abilities
0 Kudos
Not applicable
As a shareholder, I would pay him more as he took the shareprice from R15 to R55 in a year. With Govt backing, not long before this share hits pre "disposal of Vodacom" levels.
0 Kudos
Bouwer
Super Contributor
Just a question, is there any other major company that actually puts down lines for telephone or adls? As far as I know you get service providers (Afrihost, Web Africa, Mweb) but they all have to work via Telkom for line rental?
0 Kudos
royandroy
Contributor
I took my money and ran .....
0 Kudos
royandroy
Contributor
I took my money and ran .....
0 Kudos
SimonPB
Valued Contributor
yip, telkom owns the lines, others send data over those lines
0 Kudos
Bouwer
Super Contributor
So TKG doesn't really need to do anything, they just need all the other service providers to do work and they get free money... That seems like a pretty sweet deal to me!!
0 Kudos
rsalie
Super Contributor
sounds easy, but they can't even get that right.
0 Kudos
rsalie
Super Contributor
sounds easy, but they can't even get that right.
0 Kudos
Rams
Super Contributor
0 Kudos
Russ
Super Contributor
I'm holding. Will re-assess at about 6500.
0 Kudos
Not applicable
until local loop unbundling takes effect, in which case other telcos can do the last mile provisioning to your house. Then all kinds of hell will be let loose on Telkom, And for those of you that think all Telkom has to do is lay down some copper or fibre to your home and sit back and roll in the cash - think what happens every time you call the Telkom call centre about a service outage. The fact is, fixed access is a commodity, and the prices can only ever go down. The ISP's are the profit margins and Telkom has to compete with a bunch of ISP's providing services on its own fixed line infrastructure - that has to suck
0 Kudos
Russ
Super Contributor
Forget all the theorising. Check out the chart.
0 Kudos