Visit our COVID-19 site for latest information regarding how we can support you. For up to date information about the pandemic visit www.sacoronavirus.co.za.

bs-regular
bs-extra-light
bs-light
bs-light
bs-cond-light-webfont
bs-medium
bs-bold
bs-black

Community

Share knowledge. Ask questions. Find answers.

Online Share Trading

Engage and learn about markets and trading online

uk visa

kemp
Occasional Contributor
Hi gyus please help, me and the wife are flying to italy via heathrow. Do you need a visa for the connecting flight at Heathrow, im getting conflicting info on this. Im not sure if you have to go through customs as the arrival and departure terminals are different.Any help would be appreciated
0 Kudos
6 REPLIES 6
kwagga
Super Contributor
Citizens of certain countries need a visa even if they just change aircraft and stay in the transit area of a U.K. airport. Call a travel agent.
0 Kudos
DR_1
Super Contributor
you can get a transit visa
0 Kudos
Not applicable
Sounds weird to me, but have not done the UK route for a while so might be out of date. SA citizens hould not need a transit visa as the transit area is technically no-mans land (international property and airlines controled), but seeing it is in UK and the security is likely UK issue then they might have those requirments for transit area. Like Kwagga said call a travel agancy, better yet call the UK consulate. they should be able to tell you exactly.
0 Kudos
WBuffet
Contributor
When you visit Italy, you will need a Schengen Visa, which you need to apply for from the Italian Consulate. This visa entitles you to visit any other country in the European Union without having a need for any other visa. This will take care of the UK leg.
0 Kudos
Wino
Super Contributor
As far as I can recall, you will not require a UK transit visa if the time between flights is less than 24 hrs and you do not intend to leave the airport. The UK is not part of the Schengen setup and if you want to travel in the UK you will require a seperate visa. Check out www.ukvisas.gov.uk/
0 Kudos
samoa
Super Contributor
Are u any better informed..? Lol. Maybe ask for financial advice. But for travelling...
0 Kudos