Visit our COVID-19 site for latest information regarding how we can support you. For up to date information about the pandemic visit www.sacoronavirus.co.za.

bs-regular
bs-extra-light
bs-light
bs-light
bs-cond-light-webfont
bs-medium
bs-bold
bs-black

Community

Share knowledge. Ask questions. Find answers.

Online Share Trading

Engage and learn about markets and trading online

unemployment figures.

G_V_V
Super Contributor
Any punts on the unemployment figures today?
0 Kudos
10 REPLIES 10
G_V_V
Super Contributor
Nobody really knows what's going on, what I hate the most is when the locals say that our market did not go down as much as the others because the rand absorbed the fall. If the rand falls the result is the same as if the share price falls in dollar terms.
0 Kudos
SimonPB
Valued Contributor
Sep US Non-farm payrolls +103K vs Consensus +65K; Unemployment rate 9.1%
0 Kudos
G_V_V
Super Contributor
Thanks I'm watching CNBCA I just wanted to know what people are punting, it's a bit late now. US futures are up 121points. For how long in the next question.
0 Kudos
sponono
Super Contributor
http://www.bloomberg.com/news/2011-10-07/stock-index-futures-in-u-s-rally-after-employment-growth-be... this is my favourite part "The last time they were this bullish in October was 2008, when the group predicted a 27 percent gain and the index lost 18 percent". lol.
0 Kudos
G_V_V
Super Contributor
I remember what happened in October 1987 I was in the market boots and all.
0 Kudos
G_V_V
Super Contributor
Do you guys realize that AGL BIL and others have already taken a 50% haircut in dollar terms?
0 Kudos
Not applicable
Article on Bloomberg says 'While a labor dispute at Verizon Communications Inc. (VZ) depressed employment in August, its resolution added about 45,000 workers back to payrolls last month' Does this mean 45000 of the 103000 jobs added were jobs of these workers returning to work. The figure should read 58000 jobs added which is below the forecasted. The news is designed for the masses to see the headlines and react. After the mass reaction, the wealthy come in and take money from the masses.
0 Kudos
THRESHOLD
Super Contributor
I am sure the extra few thousand jobs make a huge difference in a country of over 300 million people...
0 Kudos
G_V_V
Super Contributor
I can't but think of bears comming in to take honey from the bees hard work. There must be a good reason why bears survive, maybe it keeps the bees on guard to make better hives, something the financial system needs right now.
0 Kudos