Visit our COVID-19 site for latest information regarding how we can support you. For up to date information about the pandemic visit www.sacoronavirus.co.za.

bs-regular
bs-extra-light
bs-light
bs-light
bs-cond-light-webfont
bs-medium
bs-bold
bs-black

Community

Share knowledge. Ask questions. Find answers.

Online Share Trading

Engage and learn about markets and trading online

unit trust selection

nala
Super Contributor
Hi forumites. I need some help to make up my mind. I want to invest R40k . I am looking at either CORONATION TOP 20 FUND or SATRIX 40. Any input onthese two unit trust
0 Kudos
11 REPLIES 11
klapka
Super Contributor
Satrix 40 is an ETF, not a unit trust.
0 Kudos
CHATTYCHAT
Super Contributor
The key difference between these two products is that unit trusts offer a blend of investments or asset classes managed by investment professionals, while ETFs offer a single entry into each investment, which are index-based and computer programme driven. (The best known ETF currently is the Satrix 40, which tracks the JSE Top 40 shares - aggregated by market capitalisation.) I would not suggest you to place the R40k in one basket. However, at present might be a good time to enter Satrix ETF's with R20k and to place the remainder amount with carefully selected UT's.
0 Kudos
CHATTYCHAT
Super Contributor
0 Kudos
Not applicable
Buy a 100g Gold Bar.(approx).Now THAT'S a smart move.Why ? Perfect hedge against the Rotten Rand(sooon she will expose how rotten...just wait.)= Protects your purchasing power.Big Time.No worries.No intermediaries.a 100g Gold Bar.Perfect....Next !
0 Kudos
Blik
Super Contributor
Have you had a look at the websites - Profile's Domestic Unit Trusts (fundsdata), as well as the Unit Trust tool on Moneyweb? I use these, in a general sense, to get a feeling of what each Unit Trust is buying or selling, who manages the Trust, what is the total value - that sort of thing. I am wary of Unit Trusts that are too large - while they may protect your value, they may not shoot the lights out. Having said that I have been buying AG Orbis Equity Feeder, and they have only returned me a gain of about 2% sincce inception 6 years ago....but I keet telling myself that this is my offshore hedge, and since its a monthly deduction, I am used to the cost. I will be ending this though at the end of this year. I also buy a bit of Kokkie's SIM Global Best Ideas Fund, again - another offshore hedge - but a small fund, so it could grow, and I like Kokkie. Local UTs - I like Nedbank Rainmaker - they have a good Management Team with Tim Allsop. But Cost of entry is a serious consideration - and maybe SATRIX is better there. AG is expensive! If you buy a gold bar, you pay VAT, I think. But maybe worth it. Nothing like having a chunk of gold under your pillow.
0 Kudos
BoburUncle
Regular Contributor
Take a look at Equinox, they cover all the unit trusts. You can compare each one there and see which one will suit you.
0 Kudos
nala
Super Contributor
where do buy a 100g bar -whats the cost?
0 Kudos
partridge
Super Contributor
Objectives/time frame determine asset allocation. Accquisition Costs are negotiable. AG, Coro and Kokkie are all "good houses". Kokkie's fund is v interesting - its AG like in its approach but Kokkie is fishing in smaller ponds - sometimes buying pvt equity funds holdings of the stock in question. BTW at the risk of stating the obvious - this chat forum is not/should not be a substitute for talking to someone who does financial and investment planning. ( Gold? why not silver? )
0 Kudos
kylen
Occasional Contributor
Hi Nala, I started my Coronation Top20 Fund last year June, I have been pleasantly surprised not just at the returns but also the way these guys go about business. I like the fact that you don't pay an initial fee and management fees are performanced based. If you have to invest with say Stanlib, you pay an initial fee of 5%, a management fee of say 3%, these guys give new meaning to the word Useless, you are basically paying them to lose your money. In my opinion when investing in unit trusts you only have two choices, (1)Coronation (2)Allan Gray.
0 Kudos
nala
Super Contributor
what would you choose in AG
0 Kudos
Blik
Super Contributor
At Partridge - 'cause storing 40K worth of Silver could be a pain in the neck. Your pillow would be extremely uncomfortable. LOL. Although agree in principle.
0 Kudos