Visit our COVID-19 site for latest information regarding how we can support you. For up to date information about the pandemic visit www.sacoronavirus.co.za.

bs-regular
bs-extra-light
bs-light
bs-light
bs-cond-light-webfont
bs-medium
bs-bold
bs-black

Community

Share knowledge. Ask questions. Find answers.

Online Share Trading

Engage and learn about markets and trading online

???

Not applicable
Plat UP IMPLATS Down. Anyone know why? 3rd quater results were not at all bad?
0 Kudos
8 REPLIES 8
Plonky
Super Contributor
Dunno... pissed me off, so I sold them and bought some coal shares instead
0 Kudos
Plonky
Super Contributor
huh... I thought the nanny would nail me on that one ???
0 Kudos
BAP
Regular Contributor
Went short on AngloPlats just now. Platinum and platinum shares due for a last downward correction before the real recovery starts (I think?. Could'nt get IMP right previously.
0 Kudos
jack12
Super Contributor
when you compare the charts you will find that sometimes there is a day time lag between the two. also between AMS and IMP and plat price. It confuses the living ***** out of me
0 Kudos
jack12
Super Contributor
Anglo Platinum Ltd., the world's largest producer of the precious metal, may skip paying a dividend for another year, Investec Securities said. Anglo Platinum fell 5 rand, or 1 percent, to close at 482 ,target price to 553
0 Kudos
jack12
Super Contributor
declined for a second day, sliding 3.80 rand, or 2.3 percent, to 161.50 rand. The world's second-largest producer of the metal said third- quarter refined platinum output decreased 12 percent compared with a year earlier as prices slumped.
0 Kudos
richardw
Super Contributor
I'll only short IMP when it's near R180 again, and IMS when it goes above R500, and only if the reasons seem temporary or backward-looking. Below those figures, it's a 50-50. Above you can still lose on mad rallies, but it's easier to catch. I prefer AMS because it seems to be considered in far more trouble than IMP - management, predicted earnings, debt, so rising prices are to be trusted less, IMHO. If people are betting that either cars or jewelery are going to pull the price up, they're dreaming. Chinese car purchases are temporary, helped by govt subsidies. U.S., Europe, etc need a while to sort out their car markets.

The only things I can think of to buy, are because sooner or later the car markets will improve, and the US$ is going to turn to junk so investors should get out of it into anything else. Gold is flaky, so rather get platinum. Maybe the improving debt markets will help. But I reckon a few forgotten issues are going to raise their heads again.
0 Kudos
HiSo
Frequent Contributor
Imp seems to be forming a symetrical triangle dating back to late March. Support line is just above 150 so I think that would be a good entry point with an initial target of 160/165. Once it breaks out the target price is about 40 rand from the break point so could be a nice trade either long or short depeding on the direction of the break.
0 Kudos