Visit our COVID-19 site for latest information regarding how we can support you. For up to date information about the pandemic visit www.sacoronavirus.co.za.

bs-regular
bs-extra-light
bs-light
bs-light
bs-cond-light-webfont
bs-medium
bs-bold
bs-black

Community

Share knowledge. Ask questions. Find answers.

Online Share Trading

Engage and learn about markets and trading online

value and volume

Not applicable
hi, which 1 moves the share price? is it volume or the value. eg. 100buyers 20 sellers therefore price goes up.
0 Kudos
7 REPLIES 7
john_1
Super Contributor
0 Kudos
Rams
Super Contributor
Volume leads Price. Always. And without exception....
0 Kudos
john_1
Super Contributor
prove that.. because I can tell you that the lowest volume trading month is DEC and it also has the historic best performance of any month...Also when market is tanking, huge drops are caused because of the absence of volume...or huge moves on penny stocks that actually represent a single trade jumping the spread etc etc
0 Kudos
Not applicable
Doesn't the simple principle of supply and demand come in here, which means the higher the demand, the more shares are distributed which then means the price is higher. Thus, volume is the key driver.
0 Kudos
kokkie
Contributor
Price = Supply and Demand AND the Human factor (Perception of the situation). The latter the most important in my book.
0 Kudos
Ninja
Super Contributor
Price alone.....the jse is more volatile than DJI or FTSE with wild price moves with less volume, not more. Low volume allows easy swings in price from a single large single player. With massive volume even a huge player cannot move price very far.
0 Kudos
Rams
Super Contributor
Its like the chicken and egg.... I think the egg came first. Always and without exception!
0 Kudos