Visit our COVID-19 site for latest information regarding how we can support you. For up to date information about the pandemic visit www.sacoronavirus.co.za.

bs-regular
bs-extra-light
bs-light
bs-light
bs-cond-light-webfont
bs-medium
bs-bold
bs-black

Community

Share knowledge. Ask questions. Find answers.

Online Share Trading

Engage and learn about markets and trading online

vusi - BP

SimonPB
Valued Contributor
can't reply in your thread as there are charatcers in the subject line .. an that offends the system, or something ..

Anyways here's BP chart, from a few days ago ..
http://www.tickertalk.co.za/group_discussion_view.php?group_id=200&grouptopic_id=138

thing is after then ews last night of no dividend, US$20billion in an eschew account and some saying may cost US$83billion .. still a long way to go from here and it may be down ..
0 Kudos
6 REPLIES 6
vusi_1
Contributor
Simon Does SB UK have a online trading platform like this one , I know they having brokers , but not sure of share trading platform ...
0 Kudos
vusi_1
Contributor
Simon Does SB UK have a online trading platform like this one , I know they have brokers , but not sure of share trading platform ...
0 Kudos
john_1
Super Contributor
Now some might argue this is exactly the opportunity that makes value investors salavate... God knows I am not a value investor but I would be interested if those of you who are are looking at this...
0 Kudos
Werner_1
Super Contributor
I wouldnt buy shares in BP - talk is going around that they might not survive - costs will run so high that it adds so much risk that it makes it not worthwhile - my view is that value investors try to look for low risk (guarenteed as far as possible) investments - this one has so many risks its unbelievable - maybe its cheap - that isnt the only factor that value investors look at. I dont even know if BP will have a future in USA - currently i think it was 40% of their business - they will find it increasingly hard to get approval for any drilling, and Obama is totally furious with them. I dont think i would invest in them, maybe better deal would be to look for a good entry into something like Exxon Mobil, etc. as they might be able to take business away from BP in the US in the future... Value investing isnt about buying cheap shares after they crash for a reason, one must find excellent companies that are trading at a discount for no reason to be concerned about. this is when the true value is exploited!
0 Kudos
john_1
Super Contributor
very good answer, thank you.. I would be watching the rules around Fedral exeption... at this point I think BP is only liable for less than a billion.. so certainly not going to sink them if they dont change that rule.. there is no risk.. just my understanding..
0 Kudos
Werner_1
Super Contributor
I dont think they will go bust - they very large - but might have lots of resistance to doing business inside USA from now on... Exxon, Chevron and Shell distanced themselves from BP in a Congressional hearing the other day. It seems that BP is using old technology without plans of how to contain issues if they arise = not so good... I think the key is (like you say) to hear what liability they exposed to - criminal charges might be on its way as well (dont know much about this - need to read up on it)!
0 Kudos