Visit our COVID-19 site for latest information regarding how we can support you. For up to date information about the pandemic visit www.sacoronavirus.co.za.

bs-regular
bs-extra-light
bs-light
bs-light
bs-cond-light-webfont
bs-medium
bs-bold
bs-black

Community

Share knowledge. Ask questions. Find answers.

Online Share Trading

Engage and learn about markets and trading online

warrant traders-simon/mk/chartist/ppl

Not applicable
any advice on buying /selling warrants ie entry exit - do you wait for the afternoon then buy & stay in overnight or you buy in the morning and sell in the after noon what works for you guys
0 Kudos
10 REPLIES 10
Not applicable
gave up trading warrants on individual shares- got burnt more than once - most recently shf. now i only trade topi warrants, and try to buy the ones furthest from expiry. of course keeping a good cash reserve no matter how low the price is, is damn important (and so far for me impossible). in future i'll avoid trading absa and db warrants coz during this drop, they've basically been bid only (call warrants). db did offer on their call warrants,but their offer was like 4x the bid (topdbg.
0 Kudos
Russ
Super Contributor
Just because you got burnt doesn't mean everyone will get burnt.
0 Kudos
cfm
Super Contributor
I've found that the risk/reward/spread combination does not allow for day trading of waves/warrants. Sometimes you get lucky, but mostly not. So, I changed to a system where I keep a couply of days.
0 Kudos
Tango
Super Contributor
If you just want gearing as a substitute for buying a large amount of the underlying, then warrants are terrible instruments. I know the trading fees are low. Ask yourself who makes the real money on warrants - the trader, or the issuer? IMO, SSF and CFDs are superior instruments if you want leverage.
0 Kudos
Not applicable
thanx guys tango tell me ssf & cfds do they have an instrument like put warrants- also anyone out there making money with warrants on a daily basis
0 Kudos
Tango
Super Contributor
yes. go to help and education on this site, or do some searching on the net for more info. For warrant info online you can also look for 'Options' if you want to find out more about how they are priced.
0 Kudos
saash
Super Contributor
For me its been better to get in and out the same day or holding for 3 days the most. SBK the best to trade. DB tend to abandon the market on big moves (but I find that if you use the matrix and put in a trade that is relevant they do transact). Some futures do allow short positions.
0 Kudos
Not applicable
SAASH I HAVE BEEN THINKING MAYBE GET IN IN THE AFTERNOON FOR THE NEXT DAY WHAT U THINK OF THAT- OR EARLY IN THE MORNING WHAT WORKS FOR YOU
0 Kudos
saash
Super Contributor
Check the time decay of the warrant you choose and the volatitlity of the share. I don't like to hold a warrant over the weekend, personally. For a share that moves 3/4% on a day, its worth just getting in and out same day.
0 Kudos
gida
Contributor
you are right saash... i find that sb warrants are active and your transactions always go through at the prices indicated... you can wait the whole day to trade on db and it doesnt go thru...
0 Kudos