Visit our COVID-19 site for latest information regarding how we can support you. For up to date information about the pandemic visit www.sacoronavirus.co.za.

bs-regular
bs-extra-light
bs-light
bs-light
bs-cond-light-webfont
bs-medium
bs-bold
bs-black

Community

Share knowledge. Ask questions. Find answers.

Online Share Trading

Engage and learn about markets and trading online

warrants

Russ
Super Contributor
On 9 Dec,just 2 weeks ago, I bought inpsbj at 18c when inp itself was at R5200.Now inp is up a bit (about 1.5%) to 5280 and the bids for the warrant are at 16c.Thanks to time decay and spread if I sell now I will take a loss of 2c per warrant although the underlying share has gone up.Add costs on to that and you can see how difficult it is to make money on warrants,unless your timing is perfect and the underlying moves quite strongly.
0 Kudos
5 REPLIES 5
Not applicable
the low warrant price makes it worse. I try to find higher prices. Simon's previous advice is ... if the barrier is far enough away, it's not an issue .. check for days to excpiry more then 90 .. price high (always above 20c, but higher is always better) .. strike within 10-15% of spot .. gearing 6-8 for index ..
0 Kudos
Wizard
Super Contributor
That's very true! That's why I hate them. If you bought the instalment on the share you probably would have been in the money! I would only buy a warrant if I anticipate a strong move.
0 Kudos
Russ
Super Contributor
Me too,Wizard,but what I anticipate and what the market does are not always the same!
0 Kudos
AJT
Super Contributor
ha ha - so true...
0 Kudos
Not applicable
Just a quick question - why do you hold on to a warrant for so long? if it makes nothing within say 3 - 4 days let it go. Regards..
0 Kudos