Visit our COVID-19 site for latest information regarding how we can support you. For up to date information about the pandemic visit www.sacoronavirus.co.za.

bs-regular
bs-extra-light
bs-light
bs-light
bs-cond-light-webfont
bs-medium
bs-bold
bs-black

Community

Share knowledge. Ask questions. Find answers.

Online Share Trading

Engage and learn about markets and trading online

what is a trader

nala
Super Contributor
i own a shop - i buy and sell goods daily-will this experience help me in trading the stock market- is the knowledge transferable?
0 Kudos
10 REPLIES 10
john_1
Super Contributor
What skills do you think ae transferable?
0 Kudos
Not applicable
probably not....cause if as a trader you dont have any of the following problems to deal with....staff,landlords, stock, cash flow, debtors, creditors, economic downturns or even customers....bloody amazing aint it?....which is exactly the problem.....its too good to be true...
0 Kudos
john_1
Super Contributor
LOL I know. But you can't keep an alsi contract in the fridge
0 Kudos
nala
Super Contributor
1 buy low sell high 2.job buy ie buy price -you dont have to know every thing about the stock -being technical 3. trade the same product over and over -in stock exchange terms the alsi -i known some people making snuff for years they have made millions 4.averaging a repeat product like a anglo -sbk- bat buy at different prices- these shares are not going to go out of fashion
0 Kudos
nala
Super Contributor
hi chartist- i think the issues are of a different nature- landlords vs telkom/ eskom 2 cash flow vs cash flow 3 paper stock vs tangible stock 4 debtors vs ???? 5 creditors vs ever had a carry a/c 6 economic downturn vs economic downturn 7 customers vs try selling illiquid stock
0 Kudos
Not applicable
no Nala....trading really is much much more simple running a business...believe me I have done both...I know its hard to believe that its as simple as it is but that the problem....trading is very very simple and easy but quite hard to do....
0 Kudos
Not applicable
in most cases it involves no more effort than turning your pc on and making 2 mouse clicks.....I am so lazy I dont even turn my PC off....when I tell ppl that don't know anything about trading they just cant get their head around it....they normally say "there much be a catch of some kind..."......its finding out what the catch is thats the trick
0 Kudos
Shard
Super Contributor
Chartist, if you dont mind my asking, how long have you been trading for?
0 Kudos
Not applicable
part time about 8 years....full time/3 days a week about one and a half
0 Kudos
nala
Super Contributor
do you use a cc for trading?
0 Kudos