Visit our COVID-19 site for latest information regarding how we can support you. For up to date information about the pandemic visit www.sacoronavirus.co.za.

bs-regular
bs-extra-light
bs-light
bs-light
bs-cond-light-webfont
bs-medium
bs-bold
bs-black

Community

Share knowledge. Ask questions. Find answers.

Online Share Trading

Engage and learn about markets and trading online

what to buy

Not applicable
hi. i know markets a high at the moment but what is good to buy? medium to long term? your thoughts?
0 Kudos
39 REPLIES 39
Preston
Super Contributor
Based on margin of safety principle , MSM would be an excellent company to buy for the medium term.
0 Kudos
Not applicable
thanks Preston, much appreciated. What would be your 1yr target on this one?
0 Kudos
Preston
Super Contributor
Above its purchase price of R148.
0 Kudos
Preston
Super Contributor
I am talking investing and not trading derivatives.
0 Kudos
md49
Contributor
Preston - following on your MSM commentary from Friday (I mentioned I stop lossed all my MSM CFDs at 121.60) - why do you sell out in batches?
0 Kudos
Preston
Super Contributor
what price did you enter?
0 Kudos
md49
Contributor
0 Kudos
Prestonmyhusban
Regular Contributor
1. I sell in batches cos when the market move quickly against me, i have moderate to low exposure. 2. By selling in batches, you allow the orders to be in the market for a longer time so that you can get proper confirmation. 3. Having moderate to low exposure, there is less stress , which allows you to think a bit more clearly. (This is my trading system, which was developed when MTN gave me a beating of note)
0 Kudos
md49
Contributor
Ok - makes sense with the confirmation. Often my sell order kicks in and then share price jumps higher. Thanks!
0 Kudos
Not applicable
thanks preston- followed your advise
0 Kudos
Rams
Super Contributor
For traders , MSM is short and for investors, you can buy MSM for much cheaper.....we see if we get confirmation tomorrow......
0 Kudos
Preston
Super Contributor
Remember to have stop loss.
0 Kudos
Rams
Super Contributor
Agree, but trix is investing (medium to long term), unleveraged?
0 Kudos
Preston
Super Contributor
@Rams, stop loss triggers, and he can buy more units , then it will be beneficial in the long run.
0 Kudos
Rams
Super Contributor
So, you suggest that he invest by buying high and selling low, then buy more and sell lower....
0 Kudos
Prestonmyhusban
Regular Contributor
@Rams, Have you read the book "The intelligent investor"?
0 Kudos
Preston
Super Contributor
Sorry, comments in from me
0 Kudos
Preston
Super Contributor
@Ram, If you are holding for long term and the share is in the profit and if the market goes into a downward spiral , i do not expect you to continue holding . Instead sell, and wait for the price to drop and buy more units at a lower prices using the sal
0 Kudos
Preston
Super Contributor
@ RAMS, so did you get the confirmation on msm?
0 Kudos