Visit our COVID-19 site for latest information regarding how we can support you. For up to date information about the pandemic visit www.sacoronavirus.co.za.

bs-regular
bs-extra-light
bs-light
bs-light
bs-cond-light-webfont
bs-medium
bs-bold
bs-black

Community

Share knowledge. Ask questions. Find answers.

Online Share Trading

Engage and learn about markets and trading online

where are the bottom feeders now

richardw
Super Contributor
There is an unknown amount of downside. Anyone looking at fundamentals on a macro scale is not going to get sucked in by a little drop. Most of the talking heads who said "time to buy!" in November are now waking up to the reality. It's time to trade, not buy, IMHO.
0 Kudos
Not applicable
if only they had said buy in Nov...ud still be ok...problem is they said buy in late Jan as well!!
0 Kudos
Electrox
Super Contributor
intresting that we are bout 300pt up from the low..
0 Kudos
SimonPB
Valued Contributor
surely the bottom feeders are long term so this question should be asked in 3-5 years ??
0 Kudos
Not applicable
NO!...pse dont condone this falling knife stuff which is what u are doing by even asking that question...wait for it to turn...
0 Kudos
SimonPB
Valued Contributor
but why not ?? it may well be a strategy employed by some ? and it may work, point is we will only know in 3-5 years ..
0 Kudos
dookie
Regular Contributor
Once you get to the shrimp poop, can it go lower?
0 Kudos
platsak
Super Contributor
Thing is. Where do we call it quits and start thinking survival instead of investment. This level problably differs from person to person. I Think a lot of people are scared they lose a point of entry if they dont start going in now. Thing is Im getting scarred we have only seen the ears of this Hippo and that markets can drop another 50%. Dow levels of 4000. We must problably start to look at were the worst case scenario is . Whats the forums opinion on worst case scenario levels?
0 Kudos
richardw
Super Contributor
How about the best case? I think that's easier to pin down. Even a bad case that isn't the worst is: countries start defaulting, leading to a pack of rabid black swans pwning the financial world. That isn't even very hard to imagine.
0 Kudos
Not applicable
I guess I am one of those bottom feeders, but then again, I amnot that interested in being right at teh bottom as there the mud gets in yr eyes & seeing in any direction is difficult. The question to ask is: How much of the "forward price" as set by the current market is based on emotion & how much is based on a low earnings period coming up? I maybe a little too naieve / optimistic but I fail to believe that the downturn will completely erode the earnings of some solid companies (PPC, SOL, GND etc) as predicted by the share prices. I am re-investing any spare cash into increasing my positions & takig a view that even should they fall a further 10%, at least I've bought after the 50% fall to date :-)
0 Kudos
Not applicable
Simon, why not? cause you are employed by SFM to provide education...eduction which on is prudent and the right thing to do...not to be equated with the most profitable things to do...cause we cant rely on luck
0 Kudos
Werner_1
Super Contributor
I am another of the bottom feeders, sorry i took so long to comment, i just comment more on my own long term forum nowdays as there are people that actually discuss our ideas.. lol.. but i am accumilating shares as well in these times as i gather cash from divs etc. GND being my favorate... As Simon said, we will have to wait a few years, but i am 100% sure our strategy will turn out very profitable in the end...
0 Kudos
SimonPB
Valued Contributor
because if somebody says they have a strategy that runs over a time frame, you can't measure mid time frame .. I can't ask you how the gap close went - mid way through the gap close ..
0 Kudos
SimonPB
Valued Contributor
an the education we provide has nothing to do with what we're talking about here .. ask the folks who was in bloem this weekend ..
0 Kudos
Not applicable
so your role here just netnanny? not to provide guidance and education?...if it is just that I imagine someone would be able to come up with a bit of code in a few hours which could replace you ..
0 Kudos
SimonPB
Valued Contributor
err, net nanny is hard coded .. I'm just here for the coffee ..
0 Kudos
Not applicable
0 Kudos
Not applicable
0 Kudos
Werner_1
Super Contributor
Chartist, thats not the case, i provide my ideas and views and if anyone is interested they can read my comments, my idea of creating a long term forum is to discuss long term strategies without people critisizing the ideas on every occation as what happens when short term (only) guys get their hands on the comments. so now and then i do say my bit here and if anyone is interested they can here... as Simon says, i am not netnanny, he is hardcoded and here to stay. lol...
0 Kudos
Werner_1
Super Contributor
did i comment on the wrong issue? lol.. sorry if i did...
0 Kudos