Visit our COVID-19 site for latest information regarding how we can support you. For up to date information about the pandemic visit www.sacoronavirus.co.za.

bs-regular
bs-extra-light
bs-light
bs-light
bs-cond-light-webfont
bs-medium
bs-bold
bs-black

Community

Share knowledge. Ask questions. Find answers.

Online Share Trading

Engage and learn about markets and trading online

why are or were they right at the bottom

Not applicable
well now I know the reason Stanlib is right or was right at the bottom of the rankings...cannot believe that people actually get paid when they implement a strategy like..."well we just buy the ones that have gone down most"....this from Hlelo last night....and he wasnt joking when he said it!..clearly this has been their clueless strategy all the way down....same kind of strategy employed by the Lehman/Ford/Fannie bottom feeders ...this kind of "the market has got it wrong we know better arrogance" is bound to keep them a the bottom...
0 Kudos
17 REPLIES 17
john_1
Super Contributor
have you ever considered running a fund?
0 Kudos
john_1
Super Contributor
It comes from a mindset, that shares always rise, that bear markets are a 6-8 month blips in the big picture of growing shareholder value.. Personally I think they are clueless
0 Kudos
gamma_spike
Frequent Contributor
buy low sell high. the wisdom is sound ohhhhhhhhhhh buddha
0 Kudos
Not applicable
John ...u ask why I dont run a fund? well thats poses an interesting philosophical question...why do people need to run a fund...i.e. why are they prepared to take risks with other people's money yet for themselves demand a fixed (guaranteed income)...would you let someone who needs a job manage your money?...of course u need also to ask why they don't have money of their own to manage...
0 Kudos
Electrox
Super Contributor
Chartist we are now trading lower than the open, does this then make a play for the gap close? still learning thx.
0 Kudos
Not applicable
it does but i only enter after 10....when FTSE opens..
0 Kudos
_nova
Super Contributor
and be careful even then as UK Prod and PPI out at 11h30. With the situation as it stands in the UK and yesterday's rate cut there, any significant change in these figures could really spook the FTSE. Normally these figures don't move the market too much...but these aren't normal times. Tight trigger fingers are in order
0 Kudos
Not applicable
Chartist, I know you guys are outspoken against the bottom-feeding strategy, but it is a very well researched and tested strategy, providing you have sufficient funds to spread your risk via an extremely wide portfolio (well out of the reach of us average joes). I think where the strategy is flawed, is if you are trying to juggle knives in a serious bear market like this one. Note I am talking investments here, not trading.
0 Kudos
Not applicable
problem is there are very very few true investors...normally just people who soil their underwear just before relief is at hand... remember the market always discounts and is usually way ahead of the curve which leaves piet pompies way behind...
0 Kudos
Shard
Super Contributor
I agree with you chartist, having held a Stanlib Gold fund that couldn't make money from 1998-2006.
0 Kudos
john_1
Super Contributor
0 Kudos
Not applicable
Chartist, why do we wait for the ftse to open? What should the ftse do in order for us to expect gap close if we trade below opening price?
0 Kudos
saash
Super Contributor
What do you guys thinK? I'm hanging onto some SBK's which is bouncing along a support - its making me nervous. Should I cut it loose. Thought with the rate cut would start looking better (and yes, its up today) But the trend is down and not looking like its about to improve.
0 Kudos
Brazen
Super Contributor
Set an automatic stop and let the market take you out, or not. Then you don't have to make the decision.
0 Kudos
Electrox
Super Contributor
Chartist, so the ftse went down on opening, we followed so is the gap play now only valid once we trade below todays open again?
0 Kudos
asylum
Super Contributor
Hi Electrox long time no speak, hows day trading going, ive got back into day trading after my dismal first try, still learning but getting better at it.
0 Kudos
Electrox
Super Contributor
Yea long time. Havnt started day trading yet but have been learning and observing intensley. there couldnt be a better time to learn from ones own mistakes than now..so im gonna stay in the game with low risks.
0 Kudos