Visit our COVID-19 site for latest information regarding how we can support you. For up to date information about the pandemic visit www.sacoronavirus.co.za.

bs-regular
bs-extra-light
bs-light
bs-light
bs-cond-light-webfont
bs-medium
bs-bold
bs-black

Community

Share knowledge. Ask questions. Find answers.

Online Share Trading

Engage and learn about markets and trading online

why do I hate shorting so much

Not applicable
It is always so stressful for me to go short. Going long is always so much easier, since I know that I have fundamentals behind me as well. Shorting is just something I can't build up confidence in. I am shorting AGL right now, on the basis of it being oversold, and needing to change my undies.
0 Kudos
6 REPLIES 6
SKALA
Super Contributor
My shorts usually end in a loss since I stuff things up.
0 Kudos
Not applicable
Im short too (on agl)... thought of getting out at 166 but last few times I've shorted I've gotten out much earlier than I planned to and missed out on some nice profits... we'll see where agl takes us but I'll definitely be out before firday.
0 Kudos
geordie1
Super Contributor
If you believe that the glass is half full then shorting will go agianst your belief system.If you believe the glass is half empty you can short with impunity. Over time and because of inflation shorting is likely to lose as a bet.omo
0 Kudos
Not applicable
Yea its only something one can be in for a short (no pun intended) time. And because we are all such positive enthuiastic folk we can't be of the outlook that markets are going to perform poorly for an extended period of time ;-)
0 Kudos
divz
Super Contributor
Ya also struggle with shorts. I tried my first short last week on SBK and was stopped out yesterday so no confidence builder. Also wiped out nice profits for the mth aaagh!!!
0 Kudos
venice
Super Contributor
Remember there is a long bias in the market i.e historically shares go up, going short is not needed to make money, if you don't like it then don't do it.
0 Kudos