Visit our COVID-19 site for latest information regarding how we can support you. For up to date information about the pandemic visit www.sacoronavirus.co.za.

bs-regular
bs-extra-light
bs-light
bs-light
bs-cond-light-webfont
bs-medium
bs-bold
bs-black

Community

Share knowledge. Ask questions. Find answers.

Online Share Trading

Engage and learn about markets and trading online

why no shorting --- Simon ?

Surf_Rat
Super Contributor
Not sure why why we have not been able to short CFD or SSF could someone explain
0 Kudos
9 REPLIES 9
SimonPB
Valued Contributor
0 Kudos
Not applicable
0 Kudos
SimonPB
Valued Contributor
when you go short we have to sell the shares to keep our hedge book flat .. so we ahve to borrow stock .. if we can't borrow then we can't offer shhorts ..
0 Kudos
Surf_Rat
Super Contributor
Thanks Simon When will I know you are out of your backorder situation is there some place which can notify us of this situation
0 Kudos
Not applicable
You can't get stock of Anglo Platinum?
0 Kudos
SimonPB
Valued Contributor
correct

OK so there is a huge conspiracy here, help me understand what it is, and why we want to prevent clients trading and hence reducing our potential income ?? or is this more dark room stuff ??
0 Kudos
Not applicable
LOL, no I am not a conspiracy theorist, I am just amazed that you can't get stock of one of the more liquid stocks on the market? I mean R323m worth of stock traded hands just yesterday - how much stock does Standard Bank need?
0 Kudos
Not applicable
I was going to hazard a guess that it would be related to the rights issue, that would make the calculation of hedging positions more complicated, but i guess the conspiracy theory works as well, - it comes tried and tested, and is much easier for us laymen to understand
0 Kudos
SimonPB
Valued Contributor
we need a fair bit as we need to be able to offer across all cleints/products .. also remember that yes a lot trades, but we need the non trading part .. an AGL owns some 80% ..
0 Kudos