Visit our COVID-19 site for latest information regarding how we can support you. For up to date information about the pandemic visit www.sacoronavirus.co.za.

bs-regular
bs-extra-light
bs-light
bs-light
bs-cond-light-webfont
bs-medium
bs-bold
bs-black

Community

Share knowledge. Ask questions. Find answers.

Online Share Trading

Engage and learn about markets and trading online

why people fail at trading

SimonPB
Valued Contributor
CPS, you will note that I am not arguing against (nor have I ever argued against) good live prices, live intra-day charts, trade from charts, conditional orders, etc (I merely dissed John as I thort his thinking was wrong, and I explained that in the thread) .. and I absolutely belive that as a broker we should offer all product, and we have been adding to our product mix, latest being CFD's last year .. so not sure what I am being dissed for ??
0 Kudos
Not applicable
I do trade JSE here, but have to use external sources to chart and decide. Int markets I trade elsewhere.

And OST cannot even say it is a cost issue for live feeds. They are getting live feeds to trading desk anyway and creating a web plugin will cost nothing (unless the proprietry side needs programming then a few hours to do it with the teams of programmers employed by SFM and SBKSA).

Bandwith is not an issue either as Simmon street has gigs of data lines running into those buildings. I know I worked on many of them and the security that protects them ;-)

Maybe the only option should be you have to trade geared instruments account for live feed to be allowed....?
0 Kudos
SimonPB
Valued Contributor
to extend .. we have a huge amount in developement for 2010, much of it been in development for at least a year, but contry to what many seem to believe, 'world class' is a process, not an out of the box event .. and no we will not say exactly what or when, for many reasons ..
0 Kudos
SimonPB
Valued Contributor
we have never said cost was an issue (there are costs involved, but thaey are not an issue) .. as for your 'a few hours' and `Bandwith is not an issue' comments .. with respect, you are misinformed ..
0 Kudos
Not applicable
Simon, thanks for this now we at least know it willhappen. The only issue is launching a product sans the backup tools to allow possible success.

and if you cannot say it I will, the reason for not saying when and why etc, Internal policies, change controls procedures, other business unit buy-ins, funding approval at management level, corporate tatical and aspriations, poitics, internet services department arguing they have no extra capacity to implement the failover responses needed to ensure 99% uptime under loaded conditions, security risk assesments on web facing products and the security features that protect the DMZ etc etc....mostly bull
0 Kudos
Not applicable
Simon, again thanks, at least we know what it isn't. But I am still a loyal OST fan, but a good argument needs debating to uncover the problems facing challenges. But the typical argument of "its happening"... even you must be sick of saying it?
0 Kudos
SimonPB
Valued Contributor
in short, none of those .. one issue is that even 99% doesn't crack it .. 99.999% is world class, and that is a way lot harder then it appears until one builds world class .. making something 95% is easy, few days work and done, 99% not much harder .. but that's not even close enough to what we need .. the extra effort to get to world class is absolutely huge (things like zero latency across networks including the users conenction, etc.) .. an yes some here will say that they got a friend who could build it in 19 minutes .. truth is they couldn't ..
0 Kudos
Not applicable
Absolutley, but the latency issue is likely the part of biggest problem, and I will not discuss those here but when IB had similar concerns (and likely still do but it is catered for as best possible) the problem was explain to them by me and the company I used to work for. But the issue cannot be ignored and the world class security needed for the apps also cannot be fixed with present technology. An initial latency will always be experienced but can be overcome to a certain deree. But like I said I cannot explain it here as it is not the forums concern, nor is it appropriate.
0 Kudos
saash
Super Contributor
Ok ... I've applied for an IDeal demo account and am ready for their sales team to start harassing me! :{
0 Kudos
Not applicable
Simon, we are not dissing you and I for one am sure you will do the best with the challenges you face. But somewhere the powers also need to accept that change could happen a little quicker, especially on lesser important changes. Just as a observation. Price streamer (never used it) seems to have issues but is a better/first step for accounts that have leverage trading enabled? Does PS have charts? No Idea but the examples seem to. Maybe consider offering that free to accounts that trade leverage???
0 Kudos
Brazen
Super Contributor
Come on Mr Brown, don't be disingenuous. You - of all people - know how important the right trading hair style is.
0 Kudos
SimonPB
Valued Contributor
but now that is supposed to be my secret trading edge ..
0 Kudos