Visit our COVID-19 site for latest information regarding how we can support you. For up to date information about the pandemic visit www.sacoronavirus.co.za.

bs-regular
bs-extra-light
bs-light
bs-light
bs-cond-light-webfont
bs-medium
bs-bold
bs-black

Community

Share knowledge. Ask questions. Find answers.

Online Share Trading

Engage and learn about markets and trading online

working hard for the money

Surf_Rat
Super Contributor
Not often I make de post but its become increasingly difficult to make the money as the year has progressed it almost pains me to to say that I am nervous to put 25% of my money to work these days and down to less than Ten Thousand Rands a month .The entry points are really tough to target and when you get the swing you just want to get out . The short term future looks like a gamble . I see a double dip chocolate ice cream with a flaky from the beach deli melting cause I went the wrong way some times just got to go on a holiday and walk away from the temptation this stupid thing is addictive always want to beat the candles
0 Kudos
13 REPLIES 13
Not applicable
It's tough as we're largely in a sideways market since beginning of the year.
0 Kudos
divz
Super Contributor
yip not easy we need an up or down trend to develop but sideways really sucks and Simon dont say "just trade the price "please"
0 Kudos
SimonPB
Valued Contributor
:) well if not the price what will you trade ?? the eggs ??
0 Kudos
Not applicable
0 Kudos
divz
Super Contributor
knew you couldn't resist ... agree with you just didnt want to hear it again :)you have drummed it into us for yrs. We will inscribe it onto you gravestone one day. Here Lies Simon "Trade the Price " Browne .....
0 Kudos
SimonPB
Valued Contributor
an so my job is done .. now I can go drinking :)
0 Kudos
warhippo
Super Contributor
Surf Rat, why do want to trade in this market? As it is the cards are stacked against you - I mean statistically at the least.. Identify a company which you want to be a part of and decide a good entry level and keep the stuff. (You dont have to ignore it though.) One can play games in this market but chances are you gonna loose And you are correct it probably becomes an addiction.
0 Kudos
kwagga
Super Contributor
Nibbling on takeovers and odd lot share buyouts seems to be the lowest risk trades in this environment. Sad but true.
0 Kudos
Not applicable
There are still lots of great trending stocks. Didata (not anymore obviously), retailers, datatec. And now the gold miners are waking up (although I don't know why). Right now though, i am channeling my efforts into looking for decent small cap stocks. I am working on the theory that when the top40 is fully valued, then funds will start channelling to the smaller caps
0 Kudos
Not applicable
I'm keeping some powder dry for a good downward correction. If we see higher highs again, ok fine I'll slowly nibble more. But at the risk of sounding like Org, logic tells me that Black swans will become more frequent the more complex the world finacial systems become and the closer we get to being able to build an atomic bomb in our own kitchens. Easy way to get rich but impossible to follow for the impatient - buy good stock on golden crossovers, but have the patience to wait for them.
0 Kudos
sponono
Super Contributor
golden cross overs???? all I see are silver ones or death crosses as they call them in NY.
0 Kudos
Not applicable
That's where the patience bit comes in - the death cross needs to come first and we all have to suffer tremendously for a while.
0 Kudos
Surf_Rat
Super Contributor
Okay so my point is more than me is feeling the pressure so that means I should wait for the little run up before I start a few shorts .As for keeping stocks Thats like marriage the other half will always let you down .Small caps till I die When it comes to these boys you cannot leverage your position and basically you have to decide which kid lands up with the junk in your will.So its mid July Up R 4000 on sasol and got out has 3000 CFD , on the old man I trade for up R 14 000 Had 2000 CFD on sasol and out that was an easy one just risk my money before I risk his.Tried to catch the falling Knife . Time to put the eggs on the line shorting ams and sol when ever I short its the eggs , when I go long its the price .You have to have osterich eggs to go short I hate it.Do I hate it.That you can put on my grave .
0 Kudos