Visit our COVID-19 site for latest information regarding how we can support you. For up to date information about the pandemic visit www.sacoronavirus.co.za.

bs-regular
bs-extra-light
bs-light
bs-light
bs-cond-light-webfont
bs-medium
bs-bold
bs-black

Community

Share knowledge. Ask questions. Find answers.

Online Share Trading

Engage and learn about markets and trading online

you know what?....i think its time for a short....

Not applicable
0 Kudos
john_1
Super Contributor
Hey Chartboy you are breaking your own rules here..maybe. this bullish move is the market pricing in the GDP numbers. Point being by taking a position before the news you might be looking to take a bath. you know better of course but thought I would just mention it.
0 Kudos
Not applicable
0 Kudos
DCTrader
Super Contributor
No offence C... but you got this one horribly wrong. Fair enough... it may turn south later, but you called the drop when the TOPI was about 1.1% up... it's now 1.8% up. I guess it's just proof to all that follow the advice of experienced traders that nothing is set in stone, nor predictable!
0 Kudos
Not applicable
nope my friend ..we are trading futures here....the numbers are quite different...
0 Kudos
DCTrader
Super Contributor
True that... but the TOPI only lags the TOPI futures by a few minutes. Obviously the figures aren't the same, but it did rally (and well) after you called the short?
0 Kudos
scandal
Super Contributor
i think gold id going to do the trick... on a slippery slope down ward - $8.5
0 Kudos
Tango
Super Contributor
not true - the difference between cash and futures can be a few hundred points, or cash can trade above futures. It's not just a time-lag thing - the futures market is an exchange of contracts, while the cash index is simply an average of what's actually happening
0 Kudos
john_1
Super Contributor
Chartist.. sorry to say but that was an ego trade, I know because I have done it many times myself. Thank you for the contribution to the Farrari fund!
0 Kudos
Tango
Super Contributor
also - this is why you often see moves on the cash index that are not reflected in the movement of instruments like warrants and waves that are hedged in the futures market
0 Kudos
Not applicable
John that had nothing to do with ego and everything to do with a squeeze which fired off to the downside on the FTSE....it was the right trade to take at the time.....right trades do not always make a profit...as for your comments re the data....you know very well i would always be flat before this data....
0 Kudos
john_1
Super Contributor
Cool,I could see what you had in mind. I was just looking out for you, I like to make money but I try not do it at your expence.
0 Kudos
Not applicable
thanks John....at least someone is looking after me....
0 Kudos
Not applicable
maybe DC trader was looking at the price streamer??????
0 Kudos
Brazen
Super Contributor
That room at the Holiday Inn beckoning fellas?
0 Kudos
john_1
Super Contributor
why shame.. is the pool boy not bringing you your GnT's in time or what!
0 Kudos
DCTrader
Super Contributor
Haha... in Price Streamer we trust. Get what you saying bout the futures vs. cash... was just saying that nothing is ever a given, even if the 'experts' call it one way or the other. The market certainly didn't go down...
0 Kudos
john_1
Super Contributor
holiday inn to posh for chartboy. He prefers to park his morris minor at the Don.
0 Kudos
Not applicable
DC no it didnt...I was wrong....the FTSE did go down though and that was the setup I was looking at .....the futures market is often (not always led) by global markets on a short timeframe basis.....
0 Kudos