Visit our COVID-19 site for latest information regarding how we can support you. For up to date information about the pandemic visit www.sacoronavirus.co.za.

bs-regular
bs-extra-light
bs-light
bs-light
bs-cond-light-webfont
bs-medium
bs-bold
bs-black

Community

Share knowledge. Ask questions. Find answers.

Community

A one-stop forum for all your banking questions

FICA

I don't have a document reflecting my residential address. What now?    

"A utility bill (such as that which you get for water and lights) should show your property's stand/erf number. We are able to accept this as long as your name is on it.

If you are living with the person who owns or rents the home, they should confirm to us in writing the relationship between the two of you, the address and their date of birth and identity number. This must be accompanied by an acceptable document showing their name and residential address. You are able to obtain a template for this letter at your nearest branch.

A married couple need only present their marriage certificate."

I have several accounts at Standard Bank. Do I need to go through this process for every account?     

No. As long as your accounts are all held within Standard Bank, then you only need to go through this process once. Stanlib accounts are unfortunately not included in this process.

What happens if I do not bring in the necessary documents?         

FICA requires us to restrict the transactions on your account.

I don't have a Telkom account. Is my cellphone account acceptable instead?      

Yes

What is required of South African citizens or foreign nationals with permanent residence?

Adult individuals who are citizens of South Africa or foreign nationals who are permanently resident in South Africa must supply us with these documents. If you wish to provide any third party with signing powers on your account or if you are going to provide any third party with a secondary card, these individuals will need to provide a copy of their identity document as well as their contact details.

What if I am Cohabitant or spouse of a homeowner?          

It may be that you live with another person, such as a spouse or life partner, and your name is not reflected on any of the documents required. Proof of the relationship between you and that person must be provided together with a relevant verification document reflecting the homeowner's name and the residential address.

In the case of a husband and wife, a marriage certificate is an acceptable document to prove the relationship between the co-habitants.

In all other cases, written confirmation is required from the homeowner confirming:

• The relationship between the co-habitants
  • The residential address that is shared
  • The name, date of birth and identity number of the person signing the written confirmation;
  • The name of the prospective customer

What if I am a student?         

If you are a student residing at a student residence, hostel or boarding house and are unable to provide proof from the homeowner, a written statement from the educational institution or the residence, hostel or boarding house confirming your residence at the physical address of such residence is acceptable.

What acceptable Identity verification documents are required?    

Identity document issued by the Republic of South Africa

Valid passport (if foreign national)

What acceptable proof of residence documents are required?       

You can provide any one of the documents showing your name and residential address. Unless otherwise stipulated, the documents must show your full residential address and not a post box address:

• A utility bill, such as water, electricity or rates (less than 3 months) We may accept a utility bill that are addressed to a post box number if it shows your name, erf/stand number, township and suburb
  • A bank statement or financial statement from another financial institution, ie. not within the Standard Bank Group (less than 3 months old)
  • A copy of a signed lease agreement (by both parties), (less than 1 year old)
  • A municipal rates and taxes invoice (less than 3 months old)
  • A mortgage statement from another financial institution, ie. not within the Standard Bank Group (less than 6 months old)
  • A telephone account, ie. a landline or cellphone account (less than 3 months old)
  • An official tax return/tax assessment (less than 1 year old)
  • Official correspondence from the South African Revenue Services (""SARS"") (less than 3 months old)
  • A recent life insurance policy issued by an insurance company
  • Correspondence from a body corporate or shareblock association (less than 3 months old)
  • A valid television license document
  • A recent short-term insurance policy document or a short-term insurance renewal letter (less than 1 year old)
  • A retail account statement/invoice (less than 3 months old)
  • Where the person live in any type of residence (eg. hostel/barracks) a letter from the administration department of such residence on an official letterhead
  • A letter from a tribal chief where the person lives (only for customers who have a nett income of R5000 or less per month).

By when does the bank need to verify my identity?

There are various categories of customers that need to be re-identified within different timelines.

What is acceptable documentation for proof of identification (not ID or passport – in cases where the ID is also lost) to open an account?          

The only acceptable proof of Identification we can accept when opening an account, is an ID document. A temporary Identification Document issued by the Dept. of Home Affairs may be accepted however the original will be requested as soon as it its available. This is in line with FICA legislative requirements.

Do I need to provide proof of residence when I stop my card?      

One is not required to provide a proof of Identification Document when a card is stopped, however a replacement card can only be ordered if the bank is able to authenticate you with a Proof of Identification document.

Why you need Fica when you hold my bond?          

While we may hold the bond over your property, the requirements regarding proof of residential address are dictated by the regulations to the FIC Act and may include the following:

1. A utility bill reflecting the name and residential address of the person (not older than 3 months)
  2. A recent lease or rental agreement reflecting the name and residential address of the person
  3. Municipal rates and taxes invoice reflecting the name and residential address of the person (not older than 3 months)
  4. A valid TV licence reflecting the name and residential address of the person.

Why can't I change my address online?       

An address changes can be done only at a branch as we need to see proof of address and identification in terms of South Africa’s Financial Intelligence Centre Act (Fica).

My account was frozen and I don't know why.       

Under the Financial Intelligence Centre Act (Fica), customer identification is a crucial requirement placed on financial institutions. It may be that your details with us did not yet comply with the requirements of the law and thus the need to provide proof of residence. You're welcome to contact our help desk on 0860 123 000 or your nearest branch for assistance in this regard. Our consultants will be able to provide the necessary details as to why the account was frozen.

My account was frozen without any notification beforehand.        

Under the Financial Intelligence Centre Act (Fica), customer identification is a crucial requirement placed on financial institutions. Normally, you should receive notification by letter and sometimes SMS or email (depending on what channel you have selected for correspondence). If you did not receive notification, you're welcome to check your content/marketing consents by calling our help desk on 0860 123 000.

Contributors
Version history
Revision #:
1 of 1
Last update:
‎09-04-2015 08:23 AM
Updated by:

Comments
Fatimad

@StandardBank wrote:

I don't have a document reflecting my residential address. What now?    

"A utility bill (such as that which you get for water and lights) should show your property's stand/erf number. We are able to accept this as long as your name is on it.

If you are living with the person who owns or rents the home, they should confirm to us in writing the relationship between the two of you, the address and their date of birth and identity number. This must be accompanied by an acceptable document showing their name and residential address. You are able to obtain a template for this letter at your nearest branch.

A married couple need only present their marriage certificate."

I have several accounts at Standard Bank. Do I need to go through this process for every account?     

No. As long as your accounts are all held within Standard Bank, then you only need to go through this process once. Stanlib accounts are unfortunately not included in this process.

What happens if I do not bring in the necessary documents?         

FICA requires us to restrict the transactions on your account.

I don't have a Telkom account. Is my cellphone account acceptable instead?      

Yes

What is required of South African citizens or foreign nationals with permanent residence?

Adult individuals who are citizens of South Africa or foreign nationals who are permanently resident in South Africa must supply us with these documents. If you wish to provide any third party with signing powers on your account or if you are going to provide any third party with a secondary card, these individuals will need to provide a copy of their identity document as well as their contact details.

What if I am Cohabitant or spouse of a homeowner?          

It may be that you live with another person, such as a spouse or life partner, and your name is not reflected on any of the documents required. Proof of the relationship between you and that person must be provided together with a relevant verification document reflecting the homeowner's name and the residential address.

In the case of a husband and wife, a marriage certificate is an acceptable document to prove the relationship between the co-habitants.

In all other cases, written confirmation is required from the homeowner confirming:

• The relationship between the co-habitants
  • The residential address that is shared
  • The name, date of birth and identity number of the person signing the written confirmation;
  • The name of the prospective customer

What if I am a student?         

If you are a student residing at a student residence, hostel or boarding house and are unable to provide proof from the homeowner, a written statement from the educational institution or the residence, hostel or boarding house confirming your residence at the physical address of such residence is acceptable.

What acceptable Identity verification documents are required?    

Identity document issued by the Republic of South Africa

Valid passport (if foreign national)

You can provide any one of the documents showing your name and residential address. Unless otherwise stipulated, the documents must show your full residential address and not a post box address:

• A utility bill, such as water, electricity or rates (less than 3 months) We may accept a utility bill that are addressed to a post box number if it shows your name, erf/stand number, township and suburb
  • A bank statement or financial statement from another financial institution, ie. not within the Standard Bank Group (less than 3 months old)
  • A mortgage statement from another financial institution, ie. not within the Standard Bank Group (less than 6 months old)
  • A telephone account, ie. a landline or cellphone account (less than 3 months old)
  • Official correspondence from the South African Revenue Services (""SARS"") (less than 3 months old)
  • Correspondence from a body corporate or shareblock association (less than 3 months old)
  • A recent short-term insurance policy document or a short-term insurance renewal letter (less than 1 year old)
  • Where the person live in any type of residence (eg. hostel/barracks) a letter from the administration department of such residence on an official letterhead
  • A letter from a tribal chief where the person lives (only for customers who have a nett income of R5000 or less per month).

By when does the bank need to verify my identity?

There are various categories of customers that need to be re-identified within different timelines.

What is acceptable documentation for proof of identification (not ID or passport – in cases where the ID is also lost) to open an account?          

The only acceptable proof of Identification we can accept when opening an account, is an ID document. A temporary Identification Document issued by the Dept. of Home Affairs may be accepted however the original will be requested as soon as it its available. This is in line with FICA legislative requirements.

Do I need to provide proof of residence when I stop my card?      

One is not required to provide a proof of Identification Document when a card is stopped, however a replacement card can only be ordered if the bank is able to authenticate you with a Proof of Identification document.

Why you need Fica when you hold my bond?          

While we may hold the bond over your property, the requirements regarding proof of residential address are dictated by the regulations to the FIC Act and may include the following:

1. A utility bill reflecting the name and residential address of the person (not older than 3 months)
  2. A recent lease or rental agreement reflecting the name and residential address of the person
  3. Municipal rates and taxes invoice reflecting the name and residential address of the person (not older than 3 months)
  4. A valid TV licence reflecting the name and residential address of the person.

Why can't I change my address online?       

An address changes can be done only at a branch as we need to see proof of address and identification in terms of South Africa’s Financial Intelligence Centre Act (Fica).

My account was frozen and I don't know why.       

Under the Financial Intelligence Centre Act (Fica), customer identification is a crucial requirement placed on financial institutions. It may be that your details with us did not yet comply with the requirements of the law and thus the need to provide proof of residence. You're welcome to contact our help desk on 0860 123 000 or your nearest branch for assistance in this regard. Our consultants will be able to provide the necessary details as to why the account was frozen.

My account was frozen without any notification beforehand.        

Under the Financial Intelligence Centre Act (Fica), customer identification is a crucial requirement placed on financial institutions. Normally, you should receive notification by letter and sometimes SMS or email (depending on what channel you have selected for correspondence). If you did not receive notification, you're welcome to check your c

i need a proof of adress on my bank statement immediately please help

StandardBank
Community Coordinator

Hi Fatimad,

How do you usually get your statements?

Regards,

Standard Bank Team

StandardBank
Community Coordinator

Hi Fatimad,

How do you usually get your statements?

Regards,

Standard Bank Team

justinhovener
Visitor

Hi.

My better half has only Standard Bank accounts (Cheque, Credit card, Homeloan and revolving credit). 

Her MTN account reflects her postal address.

The Property is not yet registered correctly at the Joburg council in both our names, so the Utility bill has my name on it (although the bond is registered in both our names - on June 15, 2016).

Standard Bank are requiring FICA proof of res from her otherwise they will terminate her revolving credit account.

I provided an affidavit, signed by a Notary today and this was rejected.

Please advise urgently as we need this sorted but as we do not owe anyone ELSE money, we're stumped.

StandardBank
Community Coordinator

Hi,

Please contact our help desk on 0860 123 000 for assistance on this matter. 

DID

On 30/10/2019, we visited the SBSA branch in Cresta Shoping Centre. They refused to accept an EGOLI GAS tax invoice as a FICA document. The following details are present on the gas account: the physical address of the complex and full name of the account holder. Please can you explain why a valid Egoli Gas tax invoice/statement was refused by your branch when it is and has been accepted by other major banks and FSPs. In the SBSA document provided to us by the branch, Part 2 (Address Verification), clearly indicates that utility bills are accepted, but for some reason, again, a fixed PIPED gas provider's bill (ie. a UTILITY BILL), is not mentioned.

DanielCerna
Occasional Visitor

Community and tax schedule is formed for the width for the plans. The goals of the KYU Tax License are implied for the team. The nature is sorted for the options. The margin is faced for the element for the terms for the volume of the pitons for the rank.

Lucawerfel
Established Member

Standard bank and community are working together for the positives for the field. The Video Marketing Agenc hiring are filed for the shows. Skills are applied for the improvement of the standard Bank of the world.

CourtneyRie
New Contributor

Standard bank of the community is working at the best parameter for the citizens. The themes of the designer wallpaper are pushed for the rates. Thing is done for the top of the selection for the final round of the human resource for the factories.

SuzzaneIllac
New Contributor

Accounts across Standard Bank require FICA compliance once. Utility bills or bank statements suffice for proof of residence. Contact for re-identification timelines or frozen account issues. www.paybyplatema com

Top kudoed posts in knowledge base