Visit our COVID-19 site for latest information regarding how we can support you. For up to date information about the pandemic visit www.sacoronavirus.co.za.

bs-regular
bs-extra-light
bs-light
bs-light
bs-cond-light-webfont
bs-medium
bs-bold
bs-black

Community

Share knowledge. Ask questions. Find answers.

Online Share Trading

Engage and learn about markets and trading online

Bird flu effecting the poultry industry

Eric
Occasional Contributor

Hi Prancing horse, what’s your take on the bird flu effecting the poultry industry? How long does this quarantine period generally last and do you think it will have a major impact in the industry?.... still a holder of SOV

7 REPLIES 7
SimonPB
Valued Contributor
so far it seems contained, but certainly is a potential risk
prancing_horse
Super Contributor
There is always a risk where pork or poultry are farmed intensively. With this outbreak I'm sure all the big players in the industry are making their bio-security priority no.1. and therefore the effect on them will be minimal. Yes, I still hold both SOV and ARL and have both done well, however I was expecting the latter to perform better than it has. I still feel it should be closer to 160 than 140
Eric
Occasional Contributor

Thanks, much appreciated...always nice to get a informed view.

prancing_horse
Super Contributor

Knocking on the 16000 door, touched 15950, will start cashing in some chips soon.

Eric
Occasional Contributor

SOV also moving in the right direction.....might take some of the table aswell.

prancing_horse
Super Contributor

Those that have stuck with both SOV and ARL have been well rewarded for their patience. One did not have to have a doctorate in economics to predict what the 50% reduction in their feed costs would do to these shares, this in spite of the cost associated with the current bird flu epidemic. Cashed in all my ARL cfds last week leaving a little bit of meat on the bone for the next guy.

SimonPB
Valued Contributor

the irony is that the bird flu is reducign egg production so egg prices are moving higher and farmers are doing OK, less eggs but higher prices.