Visit our COVID-19 site for latest information regarding how we can support you. For up to date information about the pandemic visit www.sacoronavirus.co.za.

bs-regular
bs-extra-light
bs-light
bs-light
bs-cond-light-webfont
bs-medium
bs-bold
bs-black

Community

Share knowledge. Ask questions. Find answers.

Online Share Trading

Engage and learn about markets and trading online

Break - Up

mullet_fish
Regular Contributor
I hope this doesn't happen - the co finally seems stable and as an investor I know how it all (the parts) works ....why complicate life. If London is expensive chop the costs but splitting up the business is madness.
7 REPLIES 7
Not applicable
not madness, no. The theory here is that you can separately list the entities. This makes good sense. A UK or US or other listed entity, with emerging market assets stuck in an environment of cyclical credit downgrades are always going to get rated differently. so by splitting it up - you unlock shareholder value, by allowing offshore business to trade independently of the SA business - and you maintain shareholding in both. So win-win in my opinion only, of course. Of course, what you have to watch out for - and campaign heavily against, is if they are selling off the offshore assets into a non-listed entity, and paying you out in a special dividend. that would just suck.
Cilliboy
Occasional Contributor
Do you perhaps know what will happen with pensions, policies, etc? not affected?
mullet_fish
Regular Contributor
Thanks Skaaptjop - interesting. I think this needs to be digested further ....I wonder how much they have provided for in consultant fees and management "re-structuring" costs. Investec seem to manage a tricky dual-combo business quite well?
partridge
Super Contributor
Liabilities attaching to products are not affected - unless like Malaysia airlines they close down the old company and leave a shell but now I am starting to talk rubbish. New brooms - well you have to justify your appointment don't you....?
mullet_fish
Regular Contributor
Massive distraction that will drag on for years.....
Creature_of_the
Super Contributor
LOL I have a policy that runs for 47 years and matures next year March...Thank heavens when I bought it there was no escalation in premiums.....
mullet_fish
Regular Contributor
Today's "plans" kind of confirms early suspicions that this isn't the best plan