Visit our COVID-19 site for latest information regarding how we can support you. For up to date information about the pandemic visit www.sacoronavirus.co.za.

bs-regular
bs-extra-light
bs-light
bs-light
bs-cond-light-webfont
bs-medium
bs-bold
bs-black

Community

Share knowledge. Ask questions. Find answers.

Online Share Trading

Engage and learn about markets and trading online

COFFEE - R20

mullet_fish
Regular Contributor
Well ...it was about to happen one day I suppose! A cup of coffee (a simple chicory/coffee/sugar blend) at Wimpy is R20. Personally I feel they are screwing the consumer. What are you guys ...especially the JHB larnies prepared to pay??
16 REPLIES 16
Rams
Super Contributor
well, you would pay around 5 dolllars or Euros over there for the same cup,but at least its served with a smile...
klapka
Super Contributor
Yep - I am in the UK right now and it costs at least three times that but it is accompanied by such friendly service.
mullet_fish
Regular Contributor
The breakfast for R29 is a good deal though! Vida seems to be closing a few stores.....maybe some over trading in this sector??
Quakedog
Super Contributor
R5200 per year for a coffee each day. Skip it!
mullet_fish
Regular Contributor
...and then some! I agree with good margins but the Gross margin% on a cup of coffee must be incredible....(yip - rent , staff, elec the problem)
Russ
Super Contributor
I will pay R20, mullet fish, but I'll take it with 12 sugars.
prancing_horse
Super Contributor
In Italy €1 for an espresso or €1.30 for what we call coffee in RSA, slightly cheaper in Croatia, plus the vibe is a little better than sitting in a Wimpy.
Not applicable
I am sure the margins are - but at what volume can they sell it. I find the Vida e Cafe model very interesting, high margin high volume product - that I guess needs exactly the right location to ensure your customers are not camping out at your store reading their newspaper and chatting to the staff. You want them in and out - and to feel like they have had the best morning experience ever. A vey neat trick, in my opinion (of course they are unfortunately on a bit of a decline there).
Bchip
Frequent Contributor
Problem with comparing to Europe & US is that a lot of things look cheap, like coffee and clothing. But other items cost a lot more, like Wine, Steak and Rent.
Hard to compare apples with apples
Rams
Super Contributor
and its worse when you comapre high costs in SA with poor service...
SimonPB
Valued Contributor
people go to Wimpy ?? actually checking my FBR stocks, they do .. keep it up good people
Rams
Super Contributor
wimpy not so bad, same food and sevice as you would get in some high end restaurants. But, if you really want to have lunch in the mall, go to Woolies Harves table, even the 3pm coffee and scones is very good...and they far more busy than Wimpy.
SimonPB
Valued Contributor
thinks you need to change your high end restaurants .. as for WHL, own them as well so happy .. now if only SHP would offer food as well ..
mullet_fish
Regular Contributor
FBR - in line with their strategy of owning the supply chain have announced the purchase of a Columbian "coffee" farm !
SimonPB
Valued Contributor
they already have java lava
partridge
Super Contributor
Firstly if it s got chicory in it then its not coffee. Whatever those people marketing it call it - secondly it has no taste at all if you put sugar in it. Thirdly , s*****e together your courage and give yourself an upgrade in the beverage world - live is to short to drink poor wine or coffee or eat poor food. Fourthly I have just returned from the Kalahari - where there is no coffee of any kind except rubbish instant( and its all rubbish regardless of what they call it - which means that its producer/distributor is a good buy - because of the margins on it - which are huge. Which makes Simon's appeal to keep going to famous brands owned stores correct. PS Famous Brands last REPORTS/ communication makes me think they have been taken over by management consultants - with their unmistakable "speak and mumbo jumbo" stuff. Not happy about that!