Visit our COVID-19 site for latest information regarding how we can support you. For up to date information about the pandemic visit www.sacoronavirus.co.za.

bs-regular
bs-extra-light
bs-light
bs-light
bs-cond-light-webfont
bs-medium
bs-bold
bs-black

Community

Share knowledge. Ask questions. Find answers.

Online Share Trading

Engage and learn about markets and trading online

ETF's - withholding tax recoveriy - is this possible?

partridge1
Regular Contributor

ETF's : Is there any recovery of foreign tax paid ito any DTA - as applies with Swiss Tax vis a vis CFR. Given that we don't know where the witholding tax was paid to? 

6 REPLIES 6
partridge1
Regular Contributor

Just got a credit entitled "REV LOC TAX DBX EURO" As I don't speak serbian I have asked OST to "translate" - could it be some sort of credit - even this lot can surely calculate a 20% deduction so what is it?  

don1
New Contributor
Me too - and ETF fees have been deducted for all of my DBX offshore ETFs - is this a result of Sygnia having taken over from DBX? Looks on the surface like a 6 monthly fee that was not deducted or shown on OST statements in the past. Perhaps the fee was included in the price and now it is shown as separate transaction. Anyone have ideas regarding the deduction of these fees when calculating and declaring capital gains?
MKSA
Visitor

I have seen this too - mine is 40% of my dividend value received - I do not think this is correct. 

partridge1
Regular Contributor

One could of course jsut ask  OST - but I might not live long enough to get an answer : perhaps the fount of all knowldege - aka Simon can tell us?

Dineo_T
Contributor

Hi there @partridge1,

Regarding the tax question - it' has been passed onto the tax department to get some clarity - although your tax practitioner might also be able to provide some insight.

In terms of the DBX: all ETFs have management fees associated with them. Each provider takes these fees into account in a different manner. The JSE used to process 1 distribution, taking all aspects into account. They now split the distribution. You can get more information on DBX in particular: https://www.moneyweb.co.za/mny_sens/the-db-x-tracker-col-invest-scheme-distribution-finalisation-ann...

The fact sheet should explain the fee.

If you need more clarity, please feel free to email [email protected]

SimonPB
Valued Contributor