Community

Share knowledge. Find answers. Ask questions.

Online Share Trading

Engage and learn about markets and trading online

Help me decide between BAT and REI

Super Contributor
Iv studied both companies extensively, but cant make up my mind. Would like to hear what you guys would personally go for at current prices.
0 Kudos
5 REPLIES 5
Not applicable
I personally don't like REI. 75% of its value is in a stock that I can buy myself. The remaining 25% is so spread out across investments, that any of them shooting the lights out is hardly going to make a dent in REI's NAV. I like Brait. They have guts - they take big stakes in companies you and I can't buy. They are sitting with bucket loads of cash right now, thanks to the Pepkor offload (which I am still personally disappointed about) - so you are paying a premium for the cash - or rather a premium for Brait's deal making ability. But any company with R20bn in cash has got some serious deal making potential IMO.
0 Kudos
Highlighted
Super Contributor
0 Kudos
Super Contributor
Good point. Thats what I thought. Just a bit concerned about how much BAT's price has shot up over the past few months...Although it seems justified, still a concern from an entry point of view
0 Kudos
Super Contributor
I like BAT...but they did get it wrong with their Buildmax holding....although at current BDM price, I imagine this is barely a blip on their radar. On the other hand, I do hold REI in my own long term portfolio.
0 Kudos
Super Contributor
Bat have already used a good wad of that cash buying Virgin Active and The New Look clothing chain in the UK. I reckon they'll sell those Steinhoff shares in due course and then do some buying overseas.
0 Kudos