Visit our COVID-19 site for latest information regarding how we can support you. For up to date information about the pandemic visit www.sacoronavirus.co.za.

bs-regular
bs-extra-light
bs-light
bs-light
bs-cond-light-webfont
bs-medium
bs-bold
bs-black

Community

Share knowledge. Ask questions. Find answers.

Online Share Trading

Engage and learn about markets and trading online

Help me decide between BAT and REI

Mr_S
Super Contributor
Iv studied both companies extensively, but cant make up my mind. Would like to hear what you guys would personally go for at current prices.
5 REPLIES 5
Not applicable
I personally don't like REI. 75% of its value is in a stock that I can buy myself. The remaining 25% is so spread out across investments, that any of them shooting the lights out is hardly going to make a dent in REI's NAV. I like Brait. They have guts - they take big stakes in companies you and I can't buy. They are sitting with bucket loads of cash right now, thanks to the Pepkor offload (which I am still personally disappointed about) - so you are paying a premium for the cash - or rather a premium for Brait's deal making ability. But any company with R20bn in cash has got some serious deal making potential IMO.
samoa
Super Contributor
Mr_S
Super Contributor
Good point. Thats what I thought. Just a bit concerned about how much BAT's price has shot up over the past few months...Although it seems justified, still a concern from an entry point of view
Blik
Super Contributor
I like BAT...but they did get it wrong with their Buildmax holding....although at current BDM price, I imagine this is barely a blip on their radar. On the other hand, I do hold REI in my own long term portfolio.
klapka
Super Contributor
Bat have already used a good wad of that cash buying Virgin Active and The New Look clothing chain in the UK. I reckon they'll sell those Steinhoff shares in due course and then do some buying overseas.