Visit our COVID-19 site for latest information regarding how we can support you. For up to date information about the pandemic visit www.sacoronavirus.co.za.

bs-regular
bs-extra-light
bs-light
bs-light
bs-cond-light-webfont
bs-medium
bs-bold
bs-black

Community

Share knowledge. Ask questions. Find answers.

Online Share Trading

Engage and learn about markets and trading online

Leverage

THRESHOLD
Super Contributor
Debt free and leveraging off over R20 billion turnover in a recovery. $ Assets - largely listed in Singapore and other jurisdictions. The Ruperts saw fit to pay 50% more for their +_ 23% stake.R Yet this forum never mentions this one...
13 REPLIES 13
kwagga
Super Contributor
Yes. The Remgro guys don't buy rubbish. Simple as that. I do however think that this is a real long term play. Short term it seems priced in line with it's market. Not cheap, but not overly expensive either.
THRESHOLD
Super Contributor
You realise, of course that it trading at a 60% discount to a heavily written-down NAV. Many of the DOW shippers have surged 100% off their respective bottoms... Perhaps the pricing is telling you that this is THE long term buying opportunity. I took a batch at sub R10 and have added some in Friday's pullback... so...
mullet_fish
Regular Contributor
Even the Ruperts can get screwed....but we are all partially locked into their businesses in one way or the other ! I wish they invested in railways like Buffet ...that could have been be a long term competitive position.
SimonPB
Valued Contributor
question is, as always. what turns it around? Sustained higher commodity prices ??
THRESHOLD
Super Contributor
GND is ports and, increasingly, railways. Anyway - Buffet is Buffet - and for most small investors - irrelevant.
THRESHOLD
Super Contributor
Well for Shippers - just volumes. As long as goods are moving and suppliers (shippers' clients) stay above the low water mark (pun intended) - commodities staying low may ultimately be a net plus for shippers since it drives economic activity. In fact - Lower oil prices help! Population growth and consumer emergence (entitlement's good side.) In short - "The cure for low prices is low prices!" The longer this malaise continues - the better off the survivors will be. So the question, Simon, is "Who will survive until better days return?" and not "What will turn the trend?" - the trend WILL turn!
kwagga
Super Contributor
That's a good point, and you seem to have a talent for picking bottoms. Your FGL was pick was excellent years ago.
THRESHOLD
Super Contributor
You a long memory. Y - I bought 1% of the equity.
THRESHOLD
Super Contributor
Lately I seem to be leaving out modifiers, prepositions, auxiliary verbs. I am emulating Simon's quick fire response methodology.
CHATTYCHAT
Super Contributor
Although imitation is the sincerest form of flattery... do not loose your individuality.
THRESHOLD
Super Contributor
A contrarian... to the death!
prancing_horse
Super Contributor
@THRESH,I think the buyers are back in the market on this one. Today where there is a sea of red, this one is dark green, but for me, the big winner of late has been on of your picks, AEG, cashed in and then got in again, made enough to pay for our week i
THRESHOLD
Super Contributor
I have played a bit too. Have 500 000 shares now - and intend to hold as a value play